Molecular Bioengineering (MEng)
- Learn how to create a set of instructions for completing a specific task
- Learn how to write, debug, compile, and run C++ code
- Learn data structures
- Learn object oriented programming
- Learn algorithm design and implementation
Learning Outcomes - Knowledge and Understanding
- Understand dynamic data structures and memory management in C++
- Know how to create and use algorithms for ordering data structures
- Understand concepts of data objects and the C++ class, function overloading, polymorphism
Learning Outcomes - Intellectual Skills
- Appreciation of complexity in real-life problems
- Feel competent to deal with complex and messy problems
- Appreciation of the professional criteria of biomedical software development
Learning Outcomes - Practical Skills
- Using C++, write, debug, compile, and run programs
Learning Outcomes - Transferable Skills
- Learning: read purposefully, evaluate information
- Information gathering: locate information sources, extract relevant information
- Organisational: manage your time, manage a project, set aims and objectives
- Communication: present your solutions in a clear and professional way
- Problem solving: identify, define, analyse, be creative, make decisions
- Fundamentals of computers and programming in C++.
- Data and memory. Understanding expressions, literals, types, operators, etc.
- Computing and parsing. How to process data, receive input and print output, parse strings, etc.
- Flow of control. Decision and loop structures; passing to functions; command line processing; function overloading.
- Modularity and file handling. How to work with header files and handle files.
- Structures and classes. How to code with structures and classes. The life cycle of a class.
- Object oriented programming. Principles of object-oriented programming, inheritance, polymorphism, etc.
- Data structures.
- Algorithms. Searching and sorting
BE1-HPROG1 Programming 1
Lectures: 18 hours
Labs: 20 hours
2nd ed., Englewood Cliffs : Prentice Hall
Mahwah, N.J. : Lawrence Erlbaum Associates