Writing about what we do
Imperial has over 17,000 undergraduate and postgraduate students. It is one of the world’s leading universities, offering degrees in the fields of science, engineering, medicine and business.
Find out more:
- To find out more about education at Imperial, visit the Study web pages.
- Read more about the degrees awarded by Imperial.
- Check the spelling section for the approved spelling of education terms.
In 2014, the UK Research Excellence Framework found 91 per cent of research at Imperial to be of a ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’ standard. Imperial’s research was also ranked as first in the country for its impact.
Find out more:
- To find out more about research at Imperial and its impact, visit the Research and Innovation webpages, or the College’s News site.
- Check the spelling section for the approved spelling of some terms relating to research.
Translation, partnership, consultancy and commercialisation
Partnership with business, academia, non-profit and healthcare organisations and government is a key priority for the College.
- ‘Translation’ is a term used to describe the conversion of research outcomes into significant technologies.
- A ‘corporate partnership’ is any relationship between an academic or an academic team and an industry partner, established to further research or education aims and to benefit wider society.
- ‘Consultancy’ allows external parties to access the expertise, facilities and/or equipment available at Imperial.
- ‘Commercialisation’ refers to the process by which successful businesses emerge out of academic research, often through technology transfer, intellectual property licensing and protection, company incubation and investment.