The Healthcare Professional Interest Network
The Healthcare Professional Interest Network (formerly called Special Interest Group) was launched in October 2010 by two Business School alumni – Michael Barker (Executive MBA 2002) and Ian Manovel (MSc Health Management 2004).
The network is now looking for new volunteers.
Mission Statement of the Healthcare Professional Interest Network
To provide a platform for those with similar industry minds to come together to actively discuss the challenges of the day , and in so doing enhance their professional development and learning.
Why not join our dedicated Healthcare Group on LinkedIn?
More events will be planned shortly.
Past Healthcare events
9 November 2017
The state of mental health in the UK: Where are we going wrong?
A diverse panel of experts spoke to an audience of over 50 Imperial College and Business School alumni, students and guests. Each speaker offered a different area of expertise – neurology, pharmaceuticals, psychiatry and patient/user leadership – providing for a spirited and eye-opening discussion. The speakers were:
- Frank Wiegand – Country Medical Director for Janssen UK & Ireland (Johnson & Johnson);
- David Gilbert – founder of InHealth Associates and Patient Director at Sussex MSK Partnership (Central), who blogs about patient-led healthcare at Future Patient;
- Professor Sir Simon Wessely – Regius Professor of Psychiatry at King’s College London, President of the Royal Society of Medicine, consultant liaison psychiatrist at Maudsley and King’s College Hospitals, and founder of the King’s Centre for Military Health Research.
3 November 2016
Brexit: A disaster or an opportunity for UK Life Sciences Sector?
Over 90 alumni, students and guests attended this event, where lively discussion around the implications of Brexit took place. The guest speakers were:
- Lord Lansley – former Secretary of State for Health
- Richard Phillips – Director of Health Policy, ABHI & Non-Exec Director of West Midlands and South West Peninsula AHSNs
- Professor Azeem Majeed – Chair in Primary Care and Public Health, School of Public Health
A write up of the event can be found here
28 January 2016
The A&E Crisis – Failure of leadership, media molehill or symptom of creaking NHS?
Industry experts discussed the significant pressure A&E has been under since 2013 with trusts struggling to meet the target to admit or discharge 95% of patients within four hours. Speakers included:
- Dr Clifford Mann – President, Royal College of Emergency Medicine.
- Karl Munslow-Ong – Chief Operating Office, Chelsea and Westminster NHS FT
- Jeremy Taylor– Chief Executive, National Voices
The evening was chaired by Dr Baggy Cox, Programme Director for Imperial College Business School’s International Health Management programme.