The Business School recently joined with peer institution, HEC Paris, to create the first HEC-Imperial pitch event, where six promising start-ups had the opportunity to pitch their idea to a professional panel and a crowd of likeminded and aspiring entrepreneurs.
The judging panel consisted of industry experts: Anna Boffetta, Early Stage Investor at Balderton Capital; Maulik Sailor, Business School Alumnus and CEO & Founder of Innovify; Thomas Terdjman, European Director at Tekton Ventures; Kevin Montserrat, Chief Marketing Officer of Microsoft Accelerator London.
Of the six presenting teams, three were from HEC Paris, and three from Imperial:
- Destygo: a personalized travel concierge that uses artificial intelligence to naturally interact with travellers and offer travel suggestions.
- Ledger Investing: the world’s first investing marketplace for insurance.
- Seaver: Seaver’s connected objects disrupt the horse equipment market and redesign horse training.
- CortiCare: a smart personal care device for salivary diagnostics to quantify and track hormonal levels.
- FitCat: a community, a device and an app that keeps your cat in top condition.
- Ideabatic: a smart and innovative portable vaccine refrigerator with precise temperature control and unlimited cooling capabilities.
Paolo Taticchi, Principal Teaching Fellow and Director Global Initiatives said of the event, “I was pleased to be able to work closely with colleagues of HEC Paris to create this event. It was great to provide this platform for start-up businesses from Imperial and HEC to share their business ideas for feedback with our judges.”
The winner was announced as Imperial based start-up Ideabatic, who will receive coaching sessions from each member of the judging panel. The runner-up was Ledger Investing (HEC).
Kitty Liao from Ideabatic said of the event: “I would like to thank the organisers -Imperial & HEC Paris for this amazing event! I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I’d also like to thank the judges and audience who participated. I would like to thank everyone who has been supportive in what we do, involved in the project and contributed to the winning at this event. Thank you all and we will keep working hard towards reaching every child no matter how difficult the last-mile vaccine delivery journey is.”
The pitch was held as a follow up to Imperial’s annual LaunchPad event, and builds on Imperial’s ties with HEC Paris, which include exchange opportunities between the institutions.