Date: 25 November 2011
Venue: IBM Hursley, Winchester
Event Outputs: A 2011 Summary Report, live newsfeed and speaker presentations.
About the Summit
The Innovation Summit , the UK~IRC’s annual one day conference for practitioners, policy-makers and academics, is a chance to debate ‘hot-topics’ in innovation and share best practice. This year’s event, entitled Growing Through Innovation, united the latest academic research with real-world business concerns, to provide evidence-driven discussions on using innovation to sustain growth.
As R&D investment in the private sector is coming under increasing pressure, how do organisations manage their innovation processes to ensure continued growth? How can R&D budgets be used more strategically to prepare organisations to seize opportunities? How can the possibility of open innovation be realised? How can innovators successfully implement platforms and ecosystems strategies?
The 2011 UK~IRC summit brought together leading innovators and academics to share their experiences of the opportunities and challenges of growing through innovation. Speakers were be drawn from a variety of international firms including IBM, Microsoft, GSK, Pfizer, and Vestas, as well as representatives from government and academia. The event fostered interaction between organisations and individuals currently working in different sectors with a view to maximising exchange of knowledge and learning.
The day involved two plenary sessions, the first looking at how Arup, IBM and Microsoft have used innovation in their business growth plans. The second plenary session, sponsored by the Council for Industry and Higher Education (CIHE), considered how to enhance the value of UK research including speakers from Boeing and GSK.
There was also a choice of four parallel sessions, looking at key topics in innovation management. These sessions will focus on:
- Open Innovation – making use of internal and external pathways for value creation
- Servitisation – considering the way companies successfully move from manufacturing to services
- Platforms Innovation – looking at frameworks for analysing, designing and implementing platform and ecosystem strategies, illustrated with cases
- Corporate Entrepreneurship – exploring strategic renewal and globalising innovation
The UK~IRC would like to thank IBM and CIHE for generously supporting this event.
A full copy of the programme / presentations and speaker biographies from these links.
- Virginia Acha (Pfizer)
- Morten Skifter Andersen (Vestas)
- Sir Roger Bone (Boeing UK)
- Roger Burt (formerly IBM)
- Andrew Fitzgibbon (Microsoft)
- Roland Harwood (100% Open)
- Paul Isherwood (GSK)
- Andy Jones (Xerox)
- Kevin Lee (GSK)
- Sean Phelan (Multimap Founder)
- Caroline Taylor (IBM)
- David Watson (IBM)
- Jeremy Watson (Arup)