Is the Full-Time MBA right for me?
We consider all applications to the Imperial MBA on their individual merits. We look for a combination of academic ability, work experience and professional status. We are seeking high-calibre professionals with a track-record of success and the ambition and potential to succeed in their future careers.
The entry requirements for the MBA are as follows:
You will need a minimum of three years’ continuous relevant full-time work experience after graduation to apply for the Full-Time MBA. When assessing your application, we will look closely at your career progression in terms of roles and responsibilities, experience of managing projects and people, and how you have continued to develop your skills throughout your career to date.
You’ll need one of the following:
A good undergraduate degree from a recognised university – typically at least a UK Second Class Honours or the international equivalent or an acceptable professional qualification:
Full membership of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in the UK or Ireland (ICAEW, ICAS or Chartered Accountants Ireland)
Full membership of the Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accounting (CIPFA)
Associateship or Fellowship of the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA)
Full membership of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
GMAT or GRE scores at our required level
We require candidates to take a Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) or a Graduate Record Examination (GRE) and achieve our score requirements.
We accept the online versions of both the GMAT and the GRE.
If you are taking the GMAT, you will need an overall score of at least 600 – although a stronger score will add more weight to your application. There are no minimum requirements for the different sections of the GMAT, although ideally we are looking for a well-balanced test with good performance in all areas – with particular attention paid to the quantitative section.
If you are taking the GRE, you will need to achieve minimum scores of 156 (new test) or 550 (old test) in the verbal, and 158 (new test) or 740 (old test) in the quantitative sections.
Including a GMAT or GRE score that meets or surpasses our requirement at the time of your application greatly enhances the likelihood of an invitation to interview. However, if all other components of your application are very strong, we may proceed to the interview stage without a score. In such a case, if you are successful at the interview, our offer will be conditional upon the required score being achieved prior to the programme commencing.
If your academic results are lower than the standard entry requirements, we will request that you provide your GMAT or GRE results before we can proceed with your application.
English language requirement (if applicable)
All programmes at Imperial College Business School are linguistically demanding, and therefore strong English language skills are critical to academic success on your MBA and in your future career. The English language entry requirements listed here are the minimum scores needed for admission, successful students typically demonstrate higher levels of achievement.
A full list of acceptable English language qualifications and our required scores can be found on our detailed English language requirement page, but most applicants meet the requirement in one of the following ways:
- IELTS (academic): A minimum score of 7.0 with minimum scores of 6.5 in all elements. The IELTS indicator test will be accepted for admissions to the 2020/21 academic year.
- TOEFL iBT: A minimum score of 100 overall with minimum scores of 22 in all elements. The ETS at Home test will be accepted for admission to the 2020/21 academic year.
- Duolingo English Test: 125 Overall with no less than 115 in any band score
- Degree studied in and awarded by an English-speaking country.
- IELTS, TOEFL and Duolingo scores are only valid if they are less than two years old on the programme start date.
- You may submit your online application prior to meeting the English language requirement.
- IELTS scores are only valid if they are less than two years old on the programme start date.
- Imperial College London considers TOEFL scores to be valid for 2 years. Scores must be valid at the beginning of your studies at Imperial if your application is successful. You must meet the entry requirement in one test from your scaled scores (‘My Best Scores’ reported by TOEFL will not be considered). For more information regarding TOEFL please visit the ETS website. Please note if you would like ETS to send your TOEFL scores directly to the College, our TOEFL Institution Code is 0891.
- The College defines English-speaking countries as: Australia, Canada, Guyana, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, United Kingdom, United States of America and West Indies.