Opportunities outside the classroom
Being a postgraduate student at Imperial College Business School gives you access to a whole range of practical benefits that have been created to support you in focusing on your career, challenging yourself, expanding your networks, and enjoying your time here.
VBA and C++ workshops
During the Spring term, you may choose to attend workshops in Visual Basic and C++ programming. These workshops are not an assessed part of the degree, so they give you a chance to learn valuable new skills at your own pace regardless of your programming background.
You will learn how VBA and/or C++ can be applied to key finance problems such as Monte Carlo simulations, value-at-risk and option pricing.
Trading Strategies course
In the spring or summer term, we also offer an optional course in trading strategies which is designed to introduce students from the our Finance Master’s programmes to the trading and investment strategies used by mutual fund managers and hedge fund managers.
To ensure you benefit from the best in current business practice, as well as the latest academic thinking and research, we hold events with speakers from top businesses and universities.
Past speakers have include:
- Chris Rogers, University of Cambridge: Perpetual defaultable callable convertible bonds
- Prof. David Goldreich, London Business School: The Price of Future Liquidity: Time-Varying Liquidity in the US Treasury Market
- Alan Morrison, Said Business School: The Demise of Investment Banking Partnerships: Theory and Evidence
Past speakers include:
- Dr David Clarke, CEO, Energy Technologies Institute: Where now for the UK energy system – steady as she goes or another expensive diversion?
- Graeme Pitkethly, Executive Chairman, Unilever: The U in Unilever
- Philippe Legrain, Author, Journalist and Commentator: Is the crisis in the Eurozone really over?
- Clark Golestani, CIO, Merck: Technologist, business steward… and venture capitalist?
- Andrew Owens, Chief Executive, Greenergy: Novel sources of funding for entrepreneurial companies, the Greenergy experience
We believe in the importance of student/staff dialogue, and the SSC provides a forum for this discussion. The SSC meets once a term to discuss facilities, the conduct of courses, and to arrange student activities.
This committee has its own fund for organising social events such as celebrating Chinese New Year, boat parties and sports tournaments. These activities provide a great opportunity for you to get to know your classmates in a more relaxed social setting and widen your networks.
Student Ambassador Scheme
The Student Ambassador Scheme provides an opportunity for you to represent the Business School and your programme, and to build your network by interacting with prospective students, staff and alumni at information sessions, recruitment fairs and social events.
The Imperial College Business School Careers support a number of student led Business School Career Clubs which aim to bring together MBA and MSc students with similar areas of career interest and/or professional backgrounds. These include the Business School Consultancy Club and the Private Equity and Venture Capital Club.
Other clubs and events at Imperial College London
You are not only part of the Business School, but also of Imperial College London. This means you have access to an enormous range of clubs, societies and events. From aeronautics to yoga, ice-hockey to salsa dancing, there’s something to interest everyone.
Imperial College Finance Society (ICFS)
Backed by the Business School and sponsored by UBS, Barclays Capital, Deutsche Bank, JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs and Citigroup, the Finance Society is one of the largest and most active student societies in the country. Our mission is to forge links between academia and industry, promote careers in finance for members and reward initiative, creative thinking and professionalism. We run entrepreneurship and investment clubs, offer discounted resources and contact with top employers.
Visit the Imperial College Union website for more information on all existing clubs.