Online career modules
You will begin your journey with Careers before you start the programme, with access to a wide suite of online career modules. These modules will help you develop your career strategy, understand how to effectively market yourself and ultimately find a career that is perfect for you. Hints and tips from recruiters and current students will help maximise your chance of finding your ideal job. Careers pre-study modules include the Careers and Professional Development module which helps you to prepare for roles in the finance sector and the Finance Career Primer which ensures you are ready to start working with Careers by examining your key skills, interests, values and motivators.
The Finance Industry Careers Course
When you start on campus in September, you will begin The Finance Industry Careers course which allows you to explore the financial sector and its recruitment market. The module includes practical careers sessions, providing you with the necessary skills to successfully complete your finance graduate job applications.
Throughout the year you will have access to our team of expert Careers Consultants, who will support your career development and help you find your dream job. A range of one-to-one appointments are available offering the following services:
- Career planning to identify your skills and strengths and refine your career strategy
- Reviewing your CV and cover letters to ensure you are presenting yourself in the best possible way
- Practicing your ‘pitch’ or improving your LinkedIn profile
- Mock interviewing to gain specific feedback on your interview technique
- Case study or case interview practice sessions using example questions that will be used by the employer
- Technical interview preparation
- Guidance on how to negotiate job offers
Connecting with employers
Our Employer Relations team is responsible for building and developing sustainable relationships with top employers that our students aspire to work for. We connect you to employers through a variety of bespoke activities including guest lectures, industry-specific careers fairs, recruitment presentations and networking events.
If you have aspirations to work in a specific sector, Imperial College Business School Careers organise a range of industry-focused activities, to provide you with deeper knowledge and sector relevant commercial awareness to give you an edge in your interview. These include:
- In Focus’ events which offer intense, practical insights into Investment Banking, Asset Management, Sales & Trading and Consulting, delivered by industry experts from top firms
- One-to-one consultations with finance industry experts
- Finance case study practice sessions
- Stock Pitch sessions
- Drop-in sessions for job applications to be reviewed or to ask specific questions about the finance sector
- Group sessions to review current business news to build your confidence in presenting commercial awareness in interview situations
You will have access to a wealth of excellent career e-resources to help you with initial career ideas all the way through to negotiating a job offer. These include insightful industry guides and company information, access to industry experts for informational interviewing, and guidance on pay negotiation. You will also have access to Wall Street Prep, which will enable you to improve your advanced Excel and financial modelling skills.
Find out more about Imperial College Business School Careers