The Entrepreneurial Smart Camp
Entrepreneurial Smart Camp
This Summer School course will help you to fine-tune your early business concepts during a hands-on boot camp. Our goal is to build a road-map guiding the way for aspiring entrepreneurs and making you more resilient towards failure. Working in groups, you will be guided through the ‘exciting nightmare’ of taking an idea or a technology to market, growing the venture and securing a successful exit. You will attend guest lectures from sector experts and receive feedback on your ideas from industry leaders. By communicating the hardships of being an entrepreneur, we provide you with insights such as how a customer can adopt your product. No prior knowledge of the subject is required – all we ask is that you are interested in innovation and the creation of wealth.
Further information about the Entrepreneurial Smart Camp is available in the course outline.
Delivered by a mix of face-to-face lectures, classes and facilitated group discussions. You will also work in teams to develop and pitch a business idea. Each team will be guided by experienced venture coaches from academia and industry, and participate in a rigorous course on the theory of entrepreneurship alongside your practical work.
The combination of practical and academic classes enables you to rapidly develop entrepreneurship skills – the ability to recognize, pursue and exploit opportunities regardless of the resources which you currently control.
Working with peers from across the globe, you will proceed quickly but carefully with your ideas, building self-confidence and tapping into fellow students’ diverse skill sets.
Lecture content and class material will be made available through an interactive online teaching and learning hub – the Summer School Hub.
- 15 minute team business pitch – (50% of final mark)
- 1 final individual examination – (50% of final mark)
Imperial College London will issue an official transcript with a final overall numerical mark – a breakdown of results will not be provided.
Imperial College London reserves the right to change or alter the courses offered without notice.
Workshops, guest speakers and trips
We will organise a variety of workshops, guest speakers and trips to complement your learning and experience of to the entrepreneurial sector in London.
In 2017, these will include:
- Designing your Minimum Viable Product (MVP) workshop with Imperial College Advanced Hackspace-
Imperial College Advanced Hackspace will be carrying out a workshop at the brand new Imperial Invention Rooms at our White City Campus, which includes a Design Studio, Electronics, Metalwork, Woodwork, BioLab, HotHouse and an Outreach Makerspace. Students will get the chance to learn about rapid prototyping and even put some of their own ideas into action using state of the art facilities.
More details for 2017 will be confirmed nearer the time.
In 2016, workshops, guest speakers and trips included:
- 3D printing workshop – Students learnt how to design and print a 3D model, and how to leverage the opportunities of 3D printing and experience first-hand the opportunities and limitations of this technology.
- Internet of Things (IoT) prototyping workshop – This workshop covered essential skills and tools needed to design, prototype and build entrepreneurial ideas. The skills learned during the SAM Labs (VC-backed Imperial venture) workshop were immediately applicable in the projects being developed during the course. The workshop revolved around building IoT in three phases: introduction to IoT and rapid prototyping, building a pre-designed IoT invention and creating a IoT solution.
- Tech City Tour – Students had the exciting opportunity to witness the thriving entrepreneurial scene in London. They visited leading start-ups, heard stories on crowd funding, gentrification and bitcoin, and join the ‘Silicon Drinkabout’ for digital innovation networking drinks.
- Guest speakers – Guest speakers shared their start up and entrepreneurial experience with students. These included:Steve Hatch, Managing Director, UK and Ireland at FacebookJason Somerville, Founder of Run It UPTristan Kromer, Lean Startup Coach and Advisor at TriKro LLCPeter Burjanec, Senior UI/UX Designer at Dil Mil.
Course dates: 3 July – 21 July 2017
Direct contact hours: 45
Academic level: Equivalent to an undergraduate course
Suggested credit level: 3 – 4 US / 7.5 ECTS credits. Your home institution will determine how much credit is awarded
Students will be guided through the ‘exciting nightmare’ and real world challenges of starting up high-growth businesses. With a focus on action learning, particularly from the war stories of seasoned entrepreneurs, the Entrepreneurial Smart Camp will help students recognise sizeable market opportunities, take new ideas to market and produce compelling business cases, which are ready to pitch to investors.Dr Chris CorbishleyProgramme Director
Take a look at our helpful Summer School FAQs
How to apply
Find out more about the application process
MSc Innovation, Entrepreneurship & Management
Discover our Master’s programme