Impact on Academia
The Department is dedicated to producing the highest-quality research with far reaching effects for the development of innovation and entrepreneurship research. To achieve our goal, we recruit high-calibre researchers from world-leading universities, encouraging them to initiate, develop and lead projects, with support from our system of capacity-building training and mentoring, designed to nurture future academic leaders.
Disseminating our Academic Research
Contributing to academic debates in innovation and entrepreneurship is a key element of our work, and many of our highly cited articles have appeared in elite journals. In addition, we regularly deliver talks, including many keynote speeches, at conferences around the world, as well as hosting numerous high-profile events and activities from our base at Imperial College London. Key achievements include:
- Publishing over 400 journal articles in top academic journals, around 20 books, 80 book chapters and 50 major reports
- Receiving over 40,000 citations in Google Scholar since 2006, with 10,000 of these in 2012 alone.
- Attending and presenting at influential international conferences such as the Academy of Management, DRUID and Egos.
- Nurturing many current and former editors of leading academic publications including the Academy of Management Journal, Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal and Innovation: Organization & Management Journal.
- We also hosted the respected DRUID Summer Conference and 4th Global Entrepreneurship Monitor Conference in 2010 and the UK~IRC Innovation Summits from 2009-2013 linking research evidence, real-world practice and policy development. We hosted the DRUID Academy Winter PhD conference in 2012 and ran the Open Innovation: New Insights & Evidence conference which resulted in a Research Policy Special Issue featuring several articles by current and former I&E researchers .
Our Research Projects
Building on the Innovation Studies Centre, our 10-year grant from the EPSRC (2003-2013), we have developed a flywheel of related activities in the innovation and entrepreneurship space and consequently been awarded several high-profile centres to develop our insights as well as several cross-thematic projects including the Global Entrepreneurship Index (GEI). These activities are expanding the research portfolio of the department and advancing the academic influence of innovation and entrepreneurship studies.