Ask an Alum
The Ask an Alum scheme is not currently accepting new questions. The service will resume ahead of the Autumn 2019 term.
Confused about whether a particular industry sector is for you? Want to find out more about life in a particular job role? Wondering whether to complete further study? Then use Ask an Alum, the Careers Service's database of Imperial alumni willing to answer your careers-related questions. Ask an Alum provides you with the chance to get an invaluable insight, direct from a professional in industry or research, at the touch of a button.
more information on the scheme
Where can I find registered alumni?
- Details of the registered alumni can be found on JobsLive
- Simply search vacancies and filter by the opportunity type ‘Ask an Alumnus Contact'
- You will find information on the alumnus’ education background, current employer and job title.
Which sectors do the alumni work in?
- We have alumni in the majority of the employment sectors
- You can refine results by your business area of interest
- The highest numbers of alumni are in Engineering, Extraction of Oil & Gas, ICT, Management Consultancy and Banking.
How to use ‘Ask an Alumnus’
- Search JobsLive for an alumnus contact
- Click the 'submit your question' button above and complete the form
- We will contact the alumnus with the careers question(s) you have listed
- The alumnus will reply directly to you by email
- Please note, we may contact you for feedback on your contact
- Ensure you have read and understand the code of conduct
- Before completing your registration form, you need to identify which alumnus you would like to contact
- You can only request to contact one alumnus at a time
- Sometimes a specific alumnus may not be available to help you
- The alumnus will be given your email address to reply to. We recommend keeping contact purely to email, unless otherwise agreed with the alumnus. If given permission to call, please do so strictly within business hours.
What can I ask the alumni?
‘Ask an Alum’ puts you in touch with Imperial alumni to increase your knowledge of various industry sectors and roles. This is a good way to build your network of contacts in the area of work you are considering. You can ask:
- What is it like to work for X organisation?
- How did you go about getting a job in your line of work?
- What are the best sources of relevant vacancies?
- What tips would you give for doing well at application, interview or assessment centre?
- How was your experience of further study (many of our ‘Ask an Alum’ contacts completed a Master's or PhD after their undergraduate degree)?
- Is there any insider information on your industry sector that would help me show my industry knowledge at interview?
- How do you see the profession changing over the next five years?
- What are the good aspects of your profession? What are the challenges?
- Are there any networking events that it would be useful to attend?
- I read X publication; is there anything else you would recommend?
- What is it like to work in X country?
Ask anything you cannot find answers to on company careers websites, recruitment brochures and from the Careers Service.
What should I not ask?
You should only communicate with alumni to increase your knowledge of job sectors and roles. It should not be used for direct requests for work experience, employment or for sponsorship requests. Please read our code of conduct for more information.
If you have any questions about Ask an Alum please contact one of our Placement & Internship Advisers by emailing us.