Code of Conduct
Ask an Alumnus Code of Conduct
This network exists to provide current students with an opportunity to seek careers related information and advice from alumni of Imperial College for their individual development only.
Access to the network will be via application to the College Careers Service, who will contact the alumnus on the student’s behalf.
It is expected that alumni will respond as swiftly as possible, however students should be aware that alumni may be busy and repeated and persistent requests for information may annoy and result in students being barred from the network.
It should be noted that alumni may have no responsibility, role or influence in relation to recruitment practices within a company.
Email communication between the student and alumnus will be monitored and we reserve the right to remove access from the network at any time should the communication be deemed inappropriate. The participating alumni and students agree that they have no right to appeal or dispute such decisions.
Appropriate communication increases your knowledge of sectors and roles and could include:
- Requests for details on content of job roles
- Requests for details on company structure
- Tips on career progression and development of appropriate skills and experience
- Information about career structure
Inappropriate communication includes:
- Direct requests for work experience or employment
- Request for CV, application form or cover letter checking
- Requests for assistance with work permits
- Requests for inappropriate access to personal data and contact details
- All requests for resources, sponsorship or funding for individual use, societies, activities or any other purpose
- All requests for visiting speakers, presenters, contributors or offers to promote individual companies on campus
Alumni members of the network are unpaid volunteers and as such they do not commit to an ongoing professional relationship with student members.
This network is intended as electronic contact only and any communication via telephone or face to face is an agreement created solely between the alumnus and the student. Any contact is undertaken at your own risk and responsibility.
Imperial College makes no offer, representation, guarantee or solicitation on behalf of the alumni or student and makes no claim to the quality of any information, advice or guidance provided by alumni via the network.