A dedicated quiet space
To study and do your careers research
Available from the Careers Service
The Careers Service is operating online to support efforts of social distancing to help stop the spread of COVID-19 while maintaining a service to students, alumni and employers. In line with Imperial College advice all our campus based activities have been replaced with online appointments, presentations and events.
The latest advice can be see on our dedicated COVID-19 webpages, and this will be regularly updated in the coming weeks.
The Careers Service is located on Level 5, Sherfield building and is home to our careers library, reception and information desk, interview and seminar rooms, takeaway publications and handouts.
Enquiries and information desk
There is a dedicated information team to help you with any enquiries that you have. You can drop in at any time during our opening hours (Monday to Friday, 10:00 - 17:15) or contact us via email or phone on +44 (0)20 7594 8024.
- Booking an appointment/event - most appointments and events can be booked through JobsLive. Some events require you to leave a deposit to confirm your place. You can come to the Careers Service to leave your deposit/book a place/cancel a place for an event.
- JobsLive is the Careers Service online system for booking appointments and events and for searching for jobs - if you need any help with using JobsLive, please contact the information team in person/by phone/by email and they will help you resolve the issue as soon as possible.
- Mock interviews/telephone appointments - if you need help booking a mock interview or a telephone appointment, we can help you with this. All you need to do is phone/email or come in and see us. See more about how to book a mock interview with a Careers Consultant.
- Resources - if you are struggling to find resources or practice tests, we can advise you of where you can find them. We have lots of resources on our website or, alternatively, you can come into the Careers Service and look through the Careers Library.
Careers library resources
There is a well-maintained hard-copy careers library for reference, covering the following areas:
- Career Options - find out more about the steps you need to make to get to your dream job role. Our Careers Options Folders have all the relevant information you need to know to help support your journey into a happy career.
- Company Information - up-to-date information on top companies, including employer literature and interview and assessment centre feedback from fellow Imperial students
- Occupational Information | Further Study/Work Abroad | Application and Selection - a range of careers library reference books to help you with career choice, application/selection/interview. You can search all titles via Library Search.
A quiet place to study with career-focused resources at your fingertips. We have two round tables that seat approximately 3-4 people each. We also have a rectangular table that can seat six people comfortably.
- There are three Interview Rooms (A, B and C) adjacent to the Careers Library, which is used by our Careers Consultants and Internship Advisers for Careers and Internship Consultations with students. For further information about our range of appointments, please see our appointments webpages.
- An Employer Room is available for employers to book and we run a number of events through this room, including a series of Recruiter in Residence sessions, mock interviews with employers and also Careers Consultations with Careers Consultants. You can search all of our events via JobsLive.
- A Seminar Room is at the centre of the Careers Service and throughout the year, we run regular sessions covering a variety of career-related topics. We’ve themed our sessions into four categories from fast-paced introductions (intensives) through to longer, more practical sessions (labs). See more about these events here under ‘seminars and workshops’.
If you have an interview coming up and need a quiet space to complete it, contact us to book one of our rooms. If there is availability, then we are happy to assist, but please note that these rooms are used for Careers Events and Careers Consultations and at times we are very busy with appointments.
If you are looking for written guides to help you plan your career path, why not come to the Careers Service and pick up one of our main publications listed below
Imperial Guide to Career Planning 2019/20 - this guide is designed for all undergraduates and postgraduates, whether you are planning a career in academia, industry, commerce, public service or a profession – or simply have no idea what you want to do.
The Imperial Events Guide: autumn 2019 - listing of Careers Service activities (including employer presentations, employer-led skills workshops, careers talks and more).
Imperial Guide to CVs and Cover letters - this booklet has been produced by the Careers Service to show a range of different CVs devised to cover a number of scenarios. There are examples from undergraduates, Masters and PhD level students, and the CVs have been tailored for a variety of positions - internships/placements, graduate roles, postgraduate study applications, academia, and industry.
Careers Service hanbdouts - on every aspect of career planning e.g. getting started/researching your career options/producing an effective CV/coping wih psychometric tests or other selection-process exercises/postgraduayte studey etc...
Other take-away publications available from the Careers Service
- The Times Top 100
- Target Jobs- Engineering/ Finance/ Teaching/ IT & Technology/ Consulting/Property/ Law
- Your Guide to Placements, Internships and Insights
- IP Careers- Chartered Patent Attorneys
- The Job Crowd-Top Companies for Graduates to Work for
- Accountancy Careers-Chartered Accountancy
- Insurance Careers - The Insurance Profession
- Actuarial Careers - The Actuarial Profession
- Postgraduate Loans and Other UK Funding- A Guide for
- Law Careers.net Handbook
- The Beginners Guide to a Career in Law
- Guardian UK 300
- Handouts- For example Written Exercises, CV, Cover Letter and many more...