Give us feedback!

We want to hear your feedback about the department so that we can make changes and improve your student experience. All feedback will be anonymous unless you would like a direct response, in which case there's an option to leave your details. Submit your feedback online

All PhD queries should be directed to Postgraduate Office Manager Susi Underwood in the first instance. You may also be able to find the answer to your question in the Department of Chemical Engineering PhD Handbook‌ [PDF, 4.5MB] or on the other intranet pages which cover the most frequently asked questions. 

PhD Student-Staff Committee

The PhD student-staff committee includes the departmental PhD representative, who chairs the committee, representatives of the various research areas, as well as the Postgraduate Tutor, the Director of Postgraduate Studies and the Postgraduate Office Manager.

They exist to voice the needs and concerns of PhD students to the administration and organise social events. Please feel free to contact them with any concerns or suggestions you might have for the department.

PhD representatives 2019-2020 

  • Departmental PhD representative - Nadin Moustafa
  • Biomedical engineering and industrial biotechnology representative - Ben Strain

  • Energy and environmental engineering representative - Kleio Zervidi
  • Materials representative - Sean McIntyre 
  • Multiphase transport processes representative - Benedict Winchester
  • Multi-scale computational chemical engineering representative - Thomas Kavanagh 
  • Multi-scale thermodynamics and molecular systems representative - Ahmed Alyazidi
  • Reaction engineering and applied catalysis representative - Sarah Seidner
  •  Separations representative - May-Yin (Ashlyn) Low 
  • Soft matter engineering representative - Yifan Liu 


There are plenty of opportunities that students can get involved with alongside their studies, however we recommend having a discussion with your supervisor before making any additional commitments. If you have any opportunities you would like added to this page please email Chemical Engineering Communications.

Higher Education Academy (HEA) associate fellowship

The Higher Education Academy (HEA) is a national body that supports the higher education community in order to enhance the quality and impact of learning and teaching. Achieving Fellowship will help you to demonstrate your commitment to best practice in teaching and potentially progress your career in this area.

Find out more and how to apply on the Imperial STAR and HEA website.

Departmental Awards 

Teaching Assistant of the Year Award 

Outreach Award

Outreach activities

Imperial Lates

Imperial Lates is an evening series organised by Imperial College London. It is open to members of the public and visitors are invited to get hands-on with the College research, brought to life through live demonstrations, creative workshops, interactive experiments, inspiring talks and more. Invites to submit an idea for the series are usually made by email in the Summer Term.

Imperial Festival 

Imperial Festival is a two-day event organised by the College and held in the summer. It's a great opportunity to showcase your research to the public and engage with visitors of all ages. If you'd like to take part keep an eye out for the call for applications in the autumn term.

Department of Chemical Engineering blog 

The Department of Chemical Engineering blog is always seeking new content. Topics can vary from research to student experience and are usually approximately 800 words in length. If you have something you'd like to write, send your idea to Chemical Engineering Communications.

Institute for Molecular Science and Engineering (IMSE) online content 

The Institute for Molecular Science and Engineering are developing their online content that showcases multidisciplinary research across the college. They are looking for staff or students to create online content about their research, or an area they feel passionate about, that demonstrates how a cross-disciplinary approach can address societal and industrial challenges. 

Submit a proposal for online content to IMSE.

Energy Journal 

The Energy Journal is a student-led publication from chemical engineers at Imperial College London and University College London. People can start applying to have an input in the 2020 edition. The website has a ‘contact us’ section for people that’d be interested in being partners or authors.

Frequently asked questions

Who should I contact if I have questions about the admissions process?

If you have read the information on the PhD pages on the Department of Chemical Engineering website and your question has still not been answered, you should contact the Postgraduate Office Manager (Susi Underwood).

What will happen when I arrive and register?

You will need to register online with the College and, if you are on a student visa, you will also need to register in person at the Student Hub.

If you start your PhD at the beginning of October, you will be invited for the departmental registration and induction events. At the registration, you will be given a PhD welcome pack containing the PhD handbook and other useful information. You should also arrange a time to meet with your supervisor and research group.

If you start your PhD after the beginning of October, please arrange an appointment with the Postgraduate Office Manager (Susi Underwood) to pick up your welcome pack and receive a short induction. You should also arrange a time to meet with your supervisor and research group.


What kind of information will be included in my Handbook?

The Handbook is specifically put together to provide you with useful information about your PhD.

There will be a welcome to the College and the Graduate School, with information on relevant contacts within the Department of Chemical Engineering as well as information on College and Departmental policies and procedures.

There is detailed information on PhD milestones (e.g. research plan, early stage assessment, late stage review, the viva) and an introduction on how to write a PhD thesis. There are sections on Department facilities, health and safety, well-being and work-life balance, personal development opportunities for PhD students and also student surveys and committees you could join.

What will happen about the Early Stage Assessment?

The ESA is your first PhD milestone, taking place within 9 months of your initial registration.  The Postgraduate Office Manager will send you, your supervisor and your academic mentor a calendar invite including information about the submission of the PhD confirmation report, which should be sent to both the assessor and the Postgraduate Office Manager.

If there is any need for reassessment, the Postgraduate Office Manager will arrange this and may also communicate results to you.

What will happen about the Late Stage Review?

The LSR takes place within 18-21 months of your initial registration. You will receive an email reminder from the Postgraduate Office Manager with the necessary documentation and information on the submission of your progress report.

If there is any need for reassessment, the Postgraduate Office Manager will arrange this and may also communicate results to you.

What will happen at the end of my regular registration period?

You will receive an email from the Postgraduate Office Manager at the end of your regular registration period (the end of year 3) providing you with your registration status options and asking what you would like to do.

What will happen when I have finished my thesis?

You will need to finalise your title and your supervisor will need to think of suitable PhD examiners. Your supervisor should submit the exam entry form to the Postgraduate Office Manager (Susi Underwood) who will arrange departmental approval and pass the form on to the Research Degrees team in Registry.

Ideally, you should submit the form 4 months before you submit your thesis in order to avoid delays with setting up your viva. 

Who will arrange my viva?

This is normally arranged by your supervisor.

I want to change research groups. How do I go about this?

Sometimes, things don't quite work out as planned and you may feel unhappy in your research group or with your supervisor. The Department has agreed on a formal procedure for such cases to ensure that full communication is maintained and that all options are explored. In many cases, conflicts can arise from poor communication and can be resolved quite easily, as long as people talk to each other openly and without fear of repercussions. If you are unhappy with your situation, do come and talk to us. We can only help and try to find a solution, if we know that there is a problem.

The formal steps for changing research groups are laid out in the Change of supervisor procedure.