Year 1 Ancillary Courses
The year 1 ancillary options for the 2017-2018 academic year are listed below:
Ancillary Course Summaries
Medicinal Chemistry 1
This course is compulsory for students registered on the F124 and F125 degree programmes but may be taken by the following other programmes: F100, F101, F103, F104, F105, F1NF, FN11.
A minimum of AS-level knowledge of biology will be assumed throughout. It is therefore
recommended that all students coming on to the Medicinal Chemistry course have a good grade at AS-level (preferably A-level) biology. For those without AS-level biology or those wanting to brush-up on their biology, pre-course material will be made available on Blackboard prior to the start of the Medicinal Chemistry course.
The course comprises a series of lecture courses given by staff from the Chemistry Department covering the following topics:
- Protein structure and function.
- Molecular cell biology underpinning drug discovery.
- Introduction to medicinal chemistry and drug discovery.
- Introduction to physiology and disease.
Course Coordinator: Dr David Mountford
Maths and Physics for Chemists Part 1 (MPC1)
This course is compulsory for students registered on the F1F3 and F1FH degree programmes but may be taken by the following other programmes: F100, F101, F103, F104, F105, F1NF, FN11.
A strong background in Mathematics is essential for this course.
The course comprises a series of lectures and tutorials given by staff from the Department of Mathematics and the Department of Physics covering the following topics:
- Mathematics (AUTUMN TERM): review of concepts; series expansions; partial di fferentiation; ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and vector algebra. This provides a good mathemati cal backgro und to students with interests in the fundamental physical basis of chemistry.
- Physics (SPRING TERM): basic mechanics, vibrations and waves.
Course Coordinator: Dr. Joao Malhado
Students may choose to take a language from those available via the Horizons programme as an ancillary. Please see the list available here: