Information for Visiting Students
Visiting Student Applications
To participate in the department of chemistry exchange programme visiting students must be registered as a student at an approved exchange partner university. Students cannot apply directly to the Imperial College department of chemistry. Official nominations must be sent by approved home exchange / study abroad coordinators.
Please contact your home insitute exchange coordinator to discuss your eligibility for the study exchange programme.
Comprehensive information for the reference of student exchange partner universities can be found on this college webpage.
Information for nominated exchange students
Key dates and Orientation
- Living Costs: Here is a rough guide to what you might expect to spend to live in reasonable comfort in London
- Key Dates: Term dates can be found at this link Visting students are expected to attend departmental orientation events.
- Accommodation: visiting exchange students who attend for a full academic year are normally guaranteed a room in an Imperial hall of residence if they have applied for such a room by the advertised deadline. Exchange students who are admitted for less than a full academic year are not guaranteed a room in an Imperial hall of residence. Guidance on searching for private section accommodation is provided at student hub website
Exchange students will be able to enrol on courses within the department of chemistry undergraduate degree programme only.
- MSci Year 4 course summariestake place in the Autumn term, are examined in January and are worth 5 ECTS credits
- Year 3 lecture courses may take place in the Autumn or Spring, are examined in January and/or May and are worth 2 ECTS credits
- Year 2 lecture courses may take place in the Autumn, Spring or Summer term, are examined in June and are worth 2 ECTS credits
There are no restrictions to the courses which you can take except where timetable clashes exist. This may occur if you select courses across more than one year (i.e. Year 3 course + Year 4 course).
The module handbook is available through our virtual learning environment module "course summaries". A guest log in will be provided to all officially nominated exchange students on request.
Most exchange students will complete a research project during their time at Imperial.
After you have been officially nominated by your home exchange coordinator you will be invited to contact academics within the department of chemistry one at a time to secure a research project supervisor.
You should contact your preferred supervisor as early as possible to avoid disappointment.
You can find information about our staff and their research areas at this link