Outbound Exchange

Imperial undergraduates have the option to spend ~8 months of study at an overseas partner University when registered to the Chemistry with Research Abroad (F101/F104) and Chemistry with a Language for Science (F1RX) degree programmes. 

Study abroad placements can only be hosted at higher-education institutes where an approved Exchange partnership already exists.

Eligible students are generally matched with their preferred destination however places are limited, are not guaranteed and may be dependent upon a reciprocal incoming exchange student being nominated to study at Imperial College.

You can find comprehensive information about student exchanges on this college webpage.

Research Abroad

How to apply for a study year abroad?

The departmental exchange coordinator will be responsible for selecting and nominating exchange students to partner insitutes in spring term of Year 3.

Students preferences will be taken into account and where possible students will be placed with their first choice option.  Where there are more students than available spaces, academic performance and motivation will be used as the selection criteria (assessed by interview).

Will I receive academic recognition during my year abroad?

A programme of study will be agreed between all parties before the study period abroad commences.   The assessment structure will be as follows:

  • elective lecture courses attended and exams taken at the host university
  • culture essay (5 ECTS, F101 and F104 in an English speaking institute) OR language project (5 ECTS, F101 and F104 in a non-English speaking institute) OR extended language project (10 ECTS, F1RX)
  • MSci research project report
  • MSci research project talks and synoptic vivas held at Imperial (exactly as for other Yr4 MSci)

You will receive an exam transcript from the host university however ultimately the academic credit for the year will be granted by Imperial College who will issue your final MSci degree grading and certificate.


  • Will I have support during my Research Abroad?

Exchange programme coordinators at Imperial College and the Host Institute will be available to offer support at every stage of your Study Year Abroad.  You will also have academic support from  an Imperial supervisor who will visit at least once during the year.

  • Do I have to pay tuition fees ?

Tuition fees at the host institute will be waived however you will continue to pay tuition fees to Imperial College.  For further information please visit the Imperial website page about Undergraduate Year Abroad.

  • Do I need to speak the native language of the overseas institution? 

You must have an adequate proficiency in the relevant language to be eligible to study abroad in an overseas institution where English is not an official language.  You must study the language course for your ancillary programme for degree credit across years 1 to 3.

  • Can I transfer on to a Chemistry with Research Abroad Degree Programme?

Students are able to transfer degree programmes on the condition that they meet the minimum requirements for the programme.  The final possibility to transfer programmes is the end of year 2.