Computational Methods I
In this module you will be introduced to the basic concepts in computer programming and numerical analysis, with emphasis on the importance of these topics within the discipline of civil engineering.
Upon successful completion of this module you will be able to:
· Access and use the Imperial College computing system.
· Develop structured computer programs using MATLAB.
· Explain the principles of numerical algorithms and apply them in common civil engineering applications.
· You will be taught the basics of the MATLAB programming language through a mixture of lectures and computer workshops.
· Emphasis will be placed on learning through hands-on tutorials of common civil engineering problems.
· You will be introduced to basic programming skills, including arrays and plotting, control statements and user defined functions. You will then develop more applied programming skills, including working with statistical data, numerical differentiation, integration, root finding and computational linear algebra.
Assessment Information is provided separately in Blackboard Learn.