Water and Wastewater Engineering
This course aims to
- Provide further insights into key principles for the design, modelling and control of water supply and wastewater collection networks (underground infrastructure), and water treatment processes (wastewater; overground infrastructure), which were introduced in CI2-260 and CI3-360.
- Introduce current and emerging trends in the design and operation of water supply and wastewater networks and discuss their relevance as critical services and civil infrastructure for Smart Cities. Present wastewater treatment aspects.
- Supplement the fundamental principles with problem-solving exercises to be able to apply the theory to practical water and wastewater industry scenarios.
- Introduce mathematical optimisation for the optimal design and control of water supply networks.
- Build upon and combine your knowledge from Fluid Mechanics (e.g. pipe hydraulics) and Mathematics (e.g. numerical methods) modules you have gained so far.
On successfully completing this course unit, students will be able to:
- Understand and apply engineering and mathematical principles to the design and operation of water supply networks, as well as drainage networks and wastewater treatment processes.
- Model the hydraulic behaviour of water supply networks and gain understanding of pressure control principles.
- Apply mathematical optimisation methods for the design and operation of water supply networks.
- Sketch process flow diagrams for wastewater treatment works for different target treatment outcomes, and discuss the advantages and disadvantages of individual unit processes.
Session 1: Module Introduction & Water Supply Networks (WSNs)
Session 2: WSNs: Pressure Management & Control
Session 3: WSNs: Hydraulic modelling (Part 1)
Session 4: WSNs: Hydraulic Modelling (Part 2)
Session 5: Introduction to Mathematical Optimisation
Session 6: Solve Design and Operational Problems for WSNs (with the state of the art optimisation solvers)
Session 7: Urban Drainage, Stormwater and CSOs
Session 8: Wastewater Treatment Processes (Part 1)
Session 9: Wastewater Treatment Processes (Part 2)
Session 10: Biosolids Treatment and Disposal.