Sending an email
Send from options
For each email you will need to select a sender - the email address that the email will come from (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org).
You will need to get your send from options set up before you send your first email. Find out more about the options
Sending a test email
Sending a test email to yourself is very important, and should be done every time you send out an email to your recipients. This allows you to troubleshoot styling, formatting, and data rendering issues that might not have been realized up to that point. Consider checking the following when you send a test email:
- Has it been sent from the correct address?
- Do all the hyperlinks work and go to the right page?
- Do your images display correctly?
- Is the order of your items correct?
- Have you removed formatting and is the font and size consistent?
- Are there any typos or grammatical errors?
Maximise the impact of your subject line
An A/B split test allows you to select up to three different subject lines for your newsletter and test to see which subject line gets the most opens. Find out how to do this in Poppulo
Sending an email to a distribution list
Once you have checked your test email, follow the steps below to send to a distribution list.
- In the ‘to’ field, select ‘distribution list’
- Search by the Outlook display name e.g. Imperial College Faculty of Natural Sciences, Undergraduates (not email@example.com)
- If you’re not sure what the display name is, paste your style list, for example firstname.lastname@example.org, into the ‘to’ box when writing a new email in Outlook and click ‘check names’ – it will change to the relevant display name.
Complying with UK data protection legislation
You must add a link to our Poppulo and your data web page to comply with all UK data protection legislation, including GDPR and the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003.
Here is some sample text you can add to your newsletters:
- View how Poppulo uses your data
- Find out about Poppulo and data protection
- View how this newsletter system uses your data
- Data protection policy
We recommend you add the link to one of these two content types – these exist across all the standard template types:
- Useful horizontal
The text in these content types is carried across when you clone a newsletter, so you will only need to do this once for each of the newsletters/templates you send. If you need help in adding or editing these content types, please contact Martha or Elizabeth and we will be happy to help you.