Photography during COVID-19
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we currently have a range of safety protocols in place for all those taking part in filming or photoshoots on behalf of Imperial College London.
Essential safety guidelines
When conducting a photoshoot on behalf of the College, you should:
- Complete a COVID-19 test and have a negative result before coming onto campus. This is not mandatory but is strongly encouraged. If you're an Imperial student or member of staff, you can book your test on the College website.
- Complete a risk assessment prior to the shoot: Download a blank COVID-19 photography risk assessment form (MS Word)
- Ensure everyone present maintains social distancing and stays two metres apart during the shoot.
- Ensure everyone present is wearing a face covering. If you are in a lab, this face covering must be disposable and NOT reusable.
- Ensure you have plenty of hand sanitiser gel available within your working area. To be effective, sanister gel should be at least 60 per cent alcohol.
Note: If you need to remove a face covering for a shot, hand sanitiser should be used before and after any face coverings are removed, and again after they have been replaced. Keep some re-sealable bags and tissues handy in case the individual has no means of storing their face covering while being photographed.
Planning your shoot
When planning your shoot, consider the following:
- Keep non-shoot critical people and items in the workspace to a minimum.
- Try to film outdoors (although ideally not in a public space). However, if indoors, aim for a large open space with good ventilation and avoid small rooms where possible.
- Everyone present: avoid touching your face as much as possible and wash or sanitise hands if face is touched.
- Minimise the touching of shared surfaces (e.g. doorhandles, keyboards, table-tops, etc.) and wipe them down regularly.
- Script action wherever possible to ensure the 2m social distancing rule is applied.
- Maximise technology to enable roles and activities to be done remotely wherever possible.
- Minimise travel and avoid using public transport where possible.
Remember that COVID-19 affects us all in different ways; please be mindful of how you treat others and remember that consideration and respect are vital.
Current Imperial-wide COVID-19 guidance
It's important to be aware of the different regulations in place across our campuses. You can find full details of the latest COVID-19 safety guidance on the College's Safety website: