Delivery of these short courses will be suspended during the COVID-19 pandemic and will not run in 2021. Please check back on the website for an update in early 2022.
This course will link the differing aspects of bariatric surgery into a cohesive syllabus to give bariatric surgeons and healthcare practitioners a greater insight into the overall management of the obese patient.
Themes, aims and teaching
Teaching is delivered face to face and in practical workshops. Sessions will illuminate themes and domains of the obese patient and bariatric surgery by demonstrative appraisal, analysis and summary. Themes and topics include:
- Indications for weight loss and metabolic surgery
- Types of operations performed and mechanisms of action
- Preoperative evaluation, optimisation and interpretation of investigations
- Principles of perioperative management
- Assessment of the post-operative bariatric patient
- Long-term management of the bariatric patient
- Complications of metabolic surgery and their management
- Novel bariatric interventions
- The bariatric service and clinical governance
- Primary care
- Medico-legal aspects
Who is the course suitable for
The Obesity Medicine short course welcomes surgeons, surgeons in training, healthcare practitioners, physiotherapists, nurses, dietitians, nutritionists and multidisciplinary support staff involved in the care and treatment of the obese patient. Discounts are available for NHS employees.
What to expect
- World-class tuition and expertise from the domain of bariatrics, with the opportunity to work alongside masters students and get a ‘taster’ opportunity for attendees with an eye on postgraduate study.
- The option to take part in formal assessment at Masters level in a world class university and receive a transcript from Imperial College London or if assessment isn’t required you can opt for a certificate of attendance for your portfolio.
- The course is intense, Monday to Friday and nine to five.
There are 20 places available
- £2,000 External
- £1,200 NHS Employee
Certificate of Attendance fees
- £1,000 External Medical Professional
- £800 External Allied healthcare professional
- £700 NHS Employee Medical professional
- £400 NHS Employee allied healthcare professional
To apply for this short course, please contact the Course Organiser Mr Ahmed Ahmed (email@example.com) with a brief ‘application' (i.e. a short CV and a brief statement explaining why the course is relevant to their educational/professional practice). We will notify you of the outcome within two weeks of your receiving your application.
Once your place is confirmed, you will be sent further information on how to register for either the attendance or credit bearing option.
You should provide a brief letter of support from your employer if they are paying your fees.