Computer Aided Engineering
Dr Mazdak Ghajari
+44 (0)20 7594 9236
- Predict mechanical responses of structures under loading
- Troubleshoot their finite element models and simulations
- Assess the accuracy of the finite element simulation results
Description of Content
- To introduce the fundamentals of the finite element method, a powerful computer-aided engineering tool
- To introduce the basic procedures in carrying out practical finite element analyses
- To provide the opportunity to use a commercial finite element software to analyse a range of problems in design engineering
Introduction to the Finite Element Method (FEM), Truss elements, Beam elements, Solid elements, Failure analysis with FEA, Buckling analysis, Vibrations, Nonlinear FEA
Bucatini Water Tower Challenge
Published on 01 March 2017
Our second year Design Engineering students were challenged to design a water tower constructed with an undisclosed biodegradable material for economical construction in the developing world.
Following their finite element analysis and simulation of their design, the students were set a final, surprise challenge: to build a scale model using their secret biodegradable material, bucatini pasta strands. The models were then destructively tested and assessed against their simulations.