Design Led Innovation and Enterprise
Learning OutcomesOn successful completion of the module, students should be able to:
- Describe the roles of design systems thinking and human centred design in the process of developing a new venture
- Explain how customer insight can be used to bring technological innovations to market
- Invent, adopt or adapt ideas that deliver value by applying a range of design research tools and creative problem solving techniques
- Formulate a business proposition to attract investment in a product or system
- Contribute to an inter-disciplinary team
Description of ContentThe module adopts a design science research approach that differs from scientific explanatory research (i.e. it is different to traditional engineering, deterministic approaches that you may have used in previous studies). Design-led research makes a creative jump to ‘what can be’, through the use of qualitative and quantitative methods, an emphasis on prototyping and effectiveness of a solution in your chosen context.
The module has been structured to take you on an entrepreneurial journey that seeks to mirror a design process. It offers a unique opportunity to build your knowledge, skills and expertise in design-led innovation as well as providing insights into the challenges of realising novel products, systems and services. The tools and techniques introduced in this module are as relevant to those working in start-up businesses as those in large organisations.
The course is made up of formal teaching sessions that run alongside, and inform, the team project that focuses on a real problem or opportunity in a particular domain.