Industry partnerships and commercialisation
Imperial values collaborative research that combines real-world business challenges with academic curiosity and research rigour to deliver tangible benefits for society. Working in partnership with industry to increase academic engagement in collaborative research and technology commercialisation lies at the heart of the College's enterprising ecosystem.
Imperial works with academic and research staff to translate their work into partnerships and commercial opportunities and increase impact from their research. We combine deep understanding of science and technology with commercial acumen and a wide professional network to gain insight into a technology's potential and identify the best route to market.
The Industry Partnerships and Commercialisation (IPC) team plays a fundamental role when it comes to maximising the impact of Imperial’s research and technologies. We’re passionate about identifying, developing and commercialising Imperial’s academic discoveries. By promoting collaboration between academics, industry and investors, and providing support to access to translational funds and licensing, we give projects the best chance of success in industry and beyond.
Some of our key IPC activities include:
- Mapping and promoting Imperial’s research capabilities and licensing portfolio
- Securing collaborative research with industry partners and commercialisation income
- Assessing research discoveries, and advancing the technologies through to market adoption via collaboration with industry
- Managing industry partnerships and key stakeholder relationships
We have many modes of partnership that we can undertake, with a wide range of opportunities and flexibility:
- Flagship industry-funded centres
- Fundamental research
- Pre-competitive and Sector-enabling knowledge
- Scholarships, academic chairs and professorships
- Technology evaluation and licensing
- Connecting our startup companies with industry partners
- Shaping Capital projects with the Faculty
- Tech Foresight
- Imperial Business Partners
We offer the chance to realise the full potential of your research by connecting you with some of the world’s most exciting organisations.
Please meet the team!
How we can help you
Creating a new industry-funded research centre
These are flagship collaborations with our industry partners (sponsors), bringing together a critical mass of permanent academic staff, researchers and funding, whose work in close partnership with industry partner bring identifiable benefits to the College and our partners.