1. Starting from 2018-19 the number is based on staff and student inventions disclosed, prior years based on staff only.
2. Invention Disclosure Portfolio of Imperial staff and student, and IP Group.
3. Starting from 2018-19 the number is based on staff and student data.
4. The numbers includes all commercial IP agreements (licences, options, revenue shares and others).
5. Total IP income includes royalties, fees , sale of shares in IP startups and other forms of IP income.
6 and 7. 2019-20 figures influenced by some large exits from the IP startup portfolio.
8 and 9. Figures influenced by large number of early-stage companies.
10. One-time effect in 2016/17 as a result of closing Imperial’s South Kensington incubator and opening the Imperial White City Incubator.