About the programme
Techcelerate is an enterprise programme which simultaneously gives postdoctoral researchers the opportunity to test their ideas in the marketplace and develop entrepreneurial skills.
Techcelerate is a 3-month programme consisting of masterclasses and venture review sessions, ultimately providing a select number of its participants with the opportunity to showcase their venture’s entrepreneurial journey to a community of investors and technology transfer industry.
Participants are required to make connections and interview 80-100 potential customers, competitors or users of their research technology to refine their ideas and explore delivering research impact via the identification of market and customer problems.
In addition they will be required to attend:
- Masterclasses, from IP management, through to design thinking, service design and investment readiness
- Entrepreneurial skills development, covering lean thinking, business model and value model propositions, customer identification and interviewing practices
- Venture review panels with experts, advisors and professional investors
Please note that the programme is intensive and participants are expected to participate fully to realise the benefits.
To ensure you are able to engage with the programme and meet the requirements we provide some resources for each postdoc:
- Funding so that you are able to conduct customer discovery and development from a worldwide perspective on a full time basis.
- You will be provided with a travel bursary to cover the costs of meeting potential customers and industry professionals.
- You will have access to the Imperial Enterprise Lab, where you will receive 1:1 coaching from experienced entrepreneurship coaches.
- Access to a co-working space in White City with demonstration of need.
Most workshops and training will be facilitated by Paul Sturrock of Slingshot Venture Development Ltd, who has decades of experience and has worked with past Techcelerate cohorts.
In its first two years, the programme helped researchers make hundreds of new connections and raise more than a million pounds to continue their ventures. Read more about Cohort 1 journeys or explore the projects in our latest cohort.
For queries, contact Dr Callum Lawrence, Techcelerate Programme Manager.