Disability Action Committee
To improve the representation and success of the careers of disabled staff and students"
Imperial's Equality Objectives 2014-2016, Objective 4
The Disability Action Committee (DAC) was formed in February 2010 to oversee disability equality work, as recommended by the Equality and Diversity Committee.
The DAC is in place to help realise the College’s Equality Objectives. In addition, the DAC considers ways to improve accessibility throughout the College.
John Neilson, College Secretary and Registrar, is the Chair and Executive Sponsor of the Disability Action Committee:
“I was very happy to be asked to be the member of the Management Board sponsoring the College’s work on disability, and pleased that I could chair the Disability Action Committee during my first week at Imperial.
"Having previously had a board colleague with a hearing disability, and taken over my last job from someone in a wheelchair, I know for myself how important it is for all to be enabled to play a full part in working life. It’s good that recently progress has been made at Imperial both in improving the level of staffing available to assist those with disabilities and in providing extra technological assistance.
"However there is still much to be done, not least in increasing willingness to declare and acknowledge the full range of disabilities, and I should be delighted to hear directly from anyone with ideas on how we can improve our provision at the College.”
Terms of Reference
The group will undertake the following responsibilities:
- To create an overarching plan to implement Equality Objective four, bringing staff and student disability together
- To set strategic and operational priorities relating to disability equality for the College
- To analyse data related to staff and student disability and make recommendations for action
- To listen to and act upon the needs of disabled staff and students
- To lead in improving the way in which the College seek promotes and implements positive disability practice
- To encourage the uptake of best practice based on disability related activities at other comparable institutions in the UK
- To report to the Equality and Diversity Committee
The membership of the DAC comprises of senior managers who give status and credibility to the group, who may also have a specialist interest in the area. Membership is to be reviewed every three years.
- College Secretary and Registrar and Executive Sponsor for Disability (Chair)
- Vice Deans of Faculties
- Senior Academics (two representatives)
- Senior College Consul
- Director of Human Resources
- Director of Occupational Health
- Faculty Operation Officers from Medicine, Engineering, Natural Sciences and the Business School
- Head of Communications
- Head of Building Operations
- Equality and Diversity Manager (responsible for disabled staff)
- Chair of Able@Imperial
- Joint Trade Union Representative
- Director of Student Services
- Member of staff from ICT
- Academic Registrar
- Head of Disability Advisory Service
- Student Union Deputy President Welfare
- Student Union Disabilities Officer
- PA to the Head of Organisational Development (Secretary)
Members to attend when appropriate:
- Disabled staff members (two) in addition to the Able Chair
- Additional teaching staff
- Web Accessibility Officer
- SpLD Tutor Disability Advisory Service
- Other relevant student services