Welcome to the waste directory - clinical waste
What is included?
- other items
What happens to this waste stream?
Clinical waste waste stream
Clinical waste represents 20% of our total waste.
Where do I put it?
- Solid waste (Hazard Group 1 or 2 & Class 1 or 2) appropriately pretreated via autoclave should be bagged and tagged.
- Yellow waste stream
- Orange waste stream
Who removes it?
- Laboratory staff should take their waste to the bulk clinical waste compound. Some local arrangements are in place for cleaning staff to collect some sacks in certain areas.
What happens to it then?
- Yellow stream waste is sent for incineration and energy recovery (waste from Silwood Park is covered under a separate contract; this waste is incinerated without energy recovery).
- Orange stream waste is sent for alternative treatment; the ultimate fate of this route is landfill.
How green is this waste stream?
- The bins and carts are re-used.