British Sign Language 1 (Beginners)
A short course for communicating through this fascinating language
At a glance
- Classroom course
- Tuesdays 19:00 - 20:00
- 10 weeks: January to March
- Tutor: Angel Louis
- Fees from £70 to £118
British Sign Language is a unique and fascinating language and a key means of communication for a significant section of the deaf and hearing-impaired communities. According to the 2011 census, it is used by an estimated 150,000 people in the UK, giving it a similar number of known speakers in the country as Arabic and French.
In this short introductory course for absolute beginners, aimed at hearing people who want to start to learn British Sign Language, we will discover the basics of communicating in British Sign Language, in a practical, enjoyable and engaging way. A selection of topics will be covered in the classes, and we will also learn about the British deaf community, looking at aspects of its diverse cultures and use of the language.
For improved proficiency in the language you will be asked to practice signing outside of the taught sessions.
No previous knowledge of sign language or other language study is necessary.
This course will be taught face-to-face in the classrooms at our South Kensington Campus in London. To take part in the course you will need to be able to attend our South Kensington Campus each week on the day and time shown above.
These classes are not recorded
Successful completion of this course leads to the award of an Imperial College attendance certificate
Terms and conditions apply to all enrolments to this course. Please read them before enrolment
What course level should I choose?
Choosing the right course level
It is very important to book onto a course which is a good match for your level of ability, and we aim to make the process of deciding which is the right course level for you as simple as possible.
If you are a complete beginner you should, of course, enrol on a Beginner's course.
Please contact our BSL tutor with any questions about your level: Ms Angel Louis, email@example.com
Course Fees and Rate Categories
|Hours||Weeks||Standard Rate||Internal Rate||Associate Rate|
|10||10||£118 (£11.80 p/h)
||£70 (£7 p/h)||£92 (£9.20 p/h)|
|All fee rates quoted are for the whole 1-term course. Part-payments are not possible. Equivalent to hourly rate is shown for comparison guidance only.|
Rate Categories and Discounts
- Available to all except those who fall under the Internal Rate or Associate Rate category, respectively.
- Current Imperial College students and staff (incl. Imperial NHS Trust, Imperial Innovations, ancillary & service staff employed on long-term contracts at Imperial College by third-party contractors)
- Individuals enrolling under our Friends & Family scheme
- Staff of the English Chamber Orchestra
- Students, staff and Governors of Woodhouse College and the IC Mathematics School
- Alumni of Imperial College and predecessor colleges and institutes
- Austrian Cultural Forum staff
- City & Guilds College Association members
- Co-operative College members
- Francis Crick Institute staff, researchers and students
- Friends and Patrons of the English Chamber Orchestra
- Friends of Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens
- Friends of Leighton House/ Sambourne House
- Friends of the Royal College of Music
- Harrods staff
- Historic Royal Palaces staff
- Lycee Charles de Gaulle staff
- Members of the Friends of Imperial College
- Members of the Kennel Club
- Members of the London Zoological Society
- Members of the South London Botanical Institute (SLBI)
- Members of the UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP)
- National Health Service (NHS) employees
- Natural History Museum staff
- Residents of postcodes SW3, SW5, SW7, SW10 and W8
- Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Council staff
- Royal College of Art and Royal College of Music tutors and other staff
- Royal Geographical Society staff
- Science Museum staff
- Staff of Exhibition Road Cultural Group (Discover South Kensington) organisations
- Students (non-Imperial College)
- Teachers and other staff of UK schools
- Tutors and other staff of institution members of the Association of Colleges
- Tutors and other staff of other universities and higher education institutions
- Victoria and Albert Museum staff
It is possible to enrol on many of our adult education courses after the course has already started. For non-language courses this is subject entirely to agreement by the tutor. For language courses it is subject to agreement by the language coordinator conducting level assessment. If you want to join a course late do bear in mind there might be work you will need to catch up on, particularly in language courses.
Friends and Family Scheme
This course is eligible for the allowing Imperial College students and staff to share their discount with their friends and family.
|Hours||Weeks||Spring term||Summer term||Summer School|
|10||10||Week commencing 16 January to week ending 25 March 2023||n/a||n/a|
|* This is a one-term course|
Web enrolment is now open
Enrolment and payment run through the Imperial College eStore. When enrolling:
- Do check on the drop down menu above called "Course Fees and Rate Categories" to see if you are eligible for a discounted rate and also do make sure you select that rate when enrolling on the eStore
- If you are a first-time eStore user you will need to create an account before enrolling. You can do this by entering an email address and password. This account can then be used for any future enrolments via the eStore.
When you have enrolled you will be sent the following email notifications:
|What is sent||When is it sent||What does it contain|
|1. Payment confirmation||Is sent instantaneously following submission of your online application||
|2. Enrolment confirmation||Is sent within 10 working days. Please treat your payment confirmation as confirmation that your applicant details and payment have been received||
|3. Programme information||Is usually sent on Friday late afternoon the week before term starts||
|If you need further help with the above information please ring 020 7594 8756|
If you have any questions about the academic content or teaching of these courses please contact our BSL Tutor, Ms Angel Louis, firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions about your enrolment or payment processes please contact the Programme Administrator, Christian Jacobi, email@example.com