German Beginners Plus
Join us to learn German with the experts!
At a Glance
- Live online
- 2 hours a week
- Thursdays 18:00 - 20:00
- 10 weeks: July to September
- Tutor: Manuela von Papen
- Fees from £120 to £205
- Imperial College attendance certificate (T&Cs apply)
- Book from 18 June 2021
This course is aimed at learners who have some previous knowledge of German and have (roughly) covered language usually taught at A1.1 level, such as verb conjugation, basic sentence structure and pronouns. You should already be able to talk about yourself and give a number of details about your work, personal background, family, interests, shopping, food etc.
Focusing mainly on the spoken language, the course aims to further equip students with the skills needed for everyday situations in a German-speaking environment. Students will, for example, learn more about the case system in German and will work with topics such as travel, housing and clothes.
The course aims to build on the basic structures of German already acquired and develop these further. Throughout the course the approach is a communicative one, using interaction as a tool to practice and consolidate what has been learned. Material used will cover typical A1.2 language and topics, but also recap on some essential structures.
By the end of the course, students will be able to cope in a number of practical situations, such as:
- making appointments;
- travelling / using public transport;
- talking about past events;
- talking about where you live and describing your accommodation;
- discussing health and fitness;
- fashion and style
Online Access to Course
This is a taught live online course which means you will be taught alongside other students on the course by a tutor at a specific time on a specific day of the week. To take part in the course you will need a suitably equipped and internet-enabled device with a microphone (built in or separate). Headphones generally improve the sound quality and tend to reduce distortion and echo significantly. Please find full details and instructions below under 'Course Delivery'.
Those who attend at least 80% of the course sessions will receive an attendance certificate from Imperial College London upon completion of the course.
Students are advised not to buy any course books before the start of the course. Progress through the course and textbook will depend on the group dynamics of the class.
- Panorama. Deutsch als Fremdsprache A1: Teilband 2, Kursbuch mit PagePlayer-App inkl. Audios, Videos und Übungen. Cornelsen, 978-3-06-120477-8
- Panorama. Deutsch als Fremdsprache A1: Teilband 2, Übungsbuch DaF mit Audio-CD. Cornelsen, ISBN 978-3-06-120562-1
In addition, a variety of supporting materials will be used.
Choosing the right language level is very important and we aim to make the process of deciding which is the right course level for you as simple as possible.
If you are a complete beginner you should, of course, enrol on a Beginner's course.
If you have some experience in the language please first review our course descriptions to try to identify the course level which should be most suitable for you. Especially if you are out of practice in a language or have been out of formal education for a while please be reasonably sure and realistic about your level of proficiency prior to proceeding with enrolment.
For course-level advice please contact our German Coordinator: Dr Felicitas Starr-Egger, firstname.lastname@example.org
All tutors on our language programmes are native speakers with a great deal of experience in teaching languages to beginners and the more advanced. Tutor contact details are provided in the programme pack which will be emailed to you just prior to the start of term.
For any questions relating to your tutor's background or teaching qualifications please contact our German Coordinator: Dr Felicitas Starr-Egger, email@example.com
Course Fees and Rate Categories
|Hours||Weeks||Standard Rate||Internal Rate||Associate Rate|
|All fee rates quoted are for the whole course.|
Fee Categories and Discounts
- Applicable to all except those who fall under the Internal Rate or Associate Rate category, respectively.
- Applies to current Imperial College students and staff (incl. Imperial NHS Trust, Imperial Innovations, ancillary & service staff employed on long-term contracts at Imperial College by third-party contractors).
- Current Centre for Languages, Culture and Communication (CLCC) staff, current CLCC PhD students, Science Communication (Sci Comm) postgraduate students, and students enrolled on an Imperial College 'Language for Science' degree programme should email evening firstname.lastname@example.org before completing the online enrolment form.
- Students (non-Imperial College)
- Alumni of Imperial College and predecessor colleges and institutes
- City & Guilds College Association members
- Members of the Friends of Imperial College
- Francis Crick Institute staff, researchers and students
- NHS staff (other than Imperial NHS Trust staff)
- Members of the UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP)
- Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Council staff
- Harrods staff
- Historic Royal Palaces staff
- Natural History Museum staff
- Science Museum staff
- South London Botanical Institute Members
- Victoria and Albert Museum staff
- Royal Geographical Society staff
- Royal College of Art and Royal College of Music tutors and other staff
- Santander Bank staff (Imperial College Walkway branch only)
- Austrian Cultural Forum staff
- Staff of Exhibition Road Cultural Group (Discover South Kensington) organisations
- Lycee Charles de Gaulle staff
- Tutors and other staff of other universities and higher education institutions
- Tutors and other staff of institution members of the Association of Colleges
- Residents of postcodes SW3, SW5, SW7, SW10 and W8
- Members of the UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP)
- Members of the South London Botanical Institute (SLBI)
It is possible to enrol on many CLCC Evening Class and Lunchtime Learning programmes after the course has started. For non-language courses this is subject entirely to agreement by the tutor. For language courses it is subject to agreement by the language Coordinator conducting level assessment. If you want to join a course late do bear in mind there might be work you will need to catch up on, particularly in language courses.
Applicable terms & conditions
Please read these before enrolling on any course.
|Hours||Weeks||Autumn term||Spring term||Summer term||Summer School|
|20||10||n/a||n/a||n/a||8 Jul - 9 Sept 2021 (10 weeks)|
Web enrolment starts 21 June
Enrolment and payment run through the Imperial College eStore. Please click on the blue booking link on the relevant course page noting below instructions:
- Our rate categories are explained on the course page and your applicable rate category must be selected on the eStore
- First-time eStore users please create an account by entering an email address and password. These credentials should also be used for future bookings. Imperial College users please note the eStore is not a single-signon College system
- The booking process involves entering payment details after your course choice and applicant details are collected via an in-built questionnnaire
- The following email notifications are sent:
|What is sent||When is it sent||What does it contain|
|1. Payment confirmation||Is sent instantaneously following submission of your online application||
|2. Enrolment confirmation||Is sent within 10 working days. Please treat your payment confirmation as confirmation that your applicant details and payment have been received||
|3. Programme information||Is usually sent on Friday late afternoon the week before term starts||
|If you need further help with the above information please ring 020 7594 8756
Certificate of Attendance
Our adult education evening and daytime classes do not offer academic credits, but we do offer an attendance certificate to those learners who attend at least 80% of the taught sessions. Eligible learners receive their certificate by email after the end of the course.
For any questions regarding course content, delivery and materials please contact our German Coordinator: Dr Felicitas Starr-Egger, email@example.com