The World Health Organization has estimated that between 2030 and 2050, climate change is expected to cause approximately 250,000 additional deaths per year, from malnutrition, malaria, diarrhoea and heat stress. Climate change will escalate infectious diseases, causing them to spread to new regions, surge in areas where they were previously under control, and increase the likelihood of transmissions of new pathogens from animals to humans. Moreover, climate change affects the social and environmental determinants of health – clean air, safe drinking water, sufficient food and secure shelter.
In this year’s Jameel Institute symposium we are focusing on the impact of changes in climate and the natural environment on health. We want to move beyond an analysis of the problem, towards finding interventions that work in protecting population health from the adverse impacts of climate change. The symposium will show up any gaps in the current evidence on effective interventions and help us design multidisciplinary research projects that address those gaps.
This annual symposium showcases Jameel Institute’s collaborative and interdisciplinary research approach, whereby several colleagues across Imperial College London, and external experts from the commercial sector, will participate in a series of talks, panel discussions and moderated breakout sessions on specific topic areas.
- Professor Neil Ferguson | Director of the Jameel Institute and School of Public Health
- Professor Frank Kelly | Battcock Chair in Community Health and Policy
- Professor Ralf Toumi | Co-Director, Grantham Institute Imperial College London
- Dr Laure de Preux | Assistant Professor (Economics), Imperial College London
- Dr Ilaria Dorigatti | Senior Lecturer, School of Public Health, Imperial College London
- Dr Kristine Belesova | Senior Lecturer (Global Population Health), School of Public Health, Imperial College London
- Professor Jem Woods | Professor (Sustainable Development), Faculty of Natural Sciences and Environmental Policy
- Dr Sandeep Bhargava | Manager, CS JP Morgan, Sustainable Nutrition Fund
- Fergus Craig | Commercial Director, AXA Health UK
- Madeleine Thomson | Head of Impacts and Adaptation, Wellcome Trust
- Dr Thomas Rawson | Research Associate, Jameel Institute