Graduation survey outcomes
Sadly due to COVID-19, we were unable to deliver graduation ceremonies for our Postgraduates in May and our Undergraduates this coming October. The College recognises how very disappointing this is and alternative arrangements to celebrate our students’ achievements are of the utmost importance. Graduates were contacted directly to inform them of the College’s decision and invited to share their preferences and thoughts in a recent survey.
Thank you to all those who responded and shared their views. The full results can be seen by clicking on the download button. Your input has been critical to shaping the approach to graduation for your cohort and others which have been impacted by the pandemic. A Graduation Advisory Committee is also being established with representatives from staff and students to assist with graduation planning now and into the future.
32% of graduates responded to the survey and five key themes emerged which are detailed below. The full set of responses can be downloaded by clicking on the download button.
1. There was a strong preference for an in-person event
- 91% of those that responded wanted in-person events as part of the graduation offering
- 52% wanted an in-person event only
2. Almost half of those that responded want a short-term option to celebrate graduation:
- 24% of those that responded wanted a package of congratulatory content sent via email
- 24% would like an online event
3. 60% of those that responded said that they were highly likely or likely to attend an online event.
4. In terms of the length of time that graduates were prepared to wait for an in-person event:
- 52% of respondees indicated it should take place in the next one to two years either at the Royal Albert Hall or another venue
- 48% would prefer to wait three years or more for a ceremony in the Royal Albert Hall
5. An important priority for all graduates who responded is to keep their cohort together for their graduation event.
Whilst it may be some time before we can come together in-person, it is important that your achievements are recognised now too and that was an important factor from the survey. At present we can best achieve that through a series of online departmental events which will take place before the end of the calendar year.