Venue & Travel
Royal Geographical Society
The Royal Geographical Society is the UK’s learned society and professional body for geography, founded in 1830. It advances geography and support its practitioners in the UK and across the world. Directed by our current strategy, the Society has never been more active and open than it is today. As a charity we serve an exceptionally wide range of public and professional audiences and our work reaches millions of people each year.
From Heathrow Airport
Take the Underground (Piccadilly Line) to South Kensington station (50 minutes travelling time).
From Gatwick Airport
Take a British Rail train to Victoria station (journey time 40 minutes) and then by Underground, (Circle or District Line; westbound) to South Kensington.
Both airports are some distance from central London and a taxi is not recommended for the whole journey. However, if you have to do so, establish the cost before you get in.
- Take a British Rail train from the port of entry to London (Harwich to London journey time 1hr 30 mins; Dover to London journey time 2hrs) and then travel by Underground to South Kensington station.
- From South Kensington station, the Royal Geographical Society is only a five minute walk. Either follow the subway signposted to the museums or walk north up Exhibition Road. The Royal Geographical Society is next to Imperial College London across the Prince Consort Road.
South Kensington is easily accessible by bus. A number of routes pass within easy walking distance of the campus. Please see the selection below for more information:
- 9 Aldwych – Hammersmith Broadway, alight at the Royal Albert Hall
- 10 Kings Cross Station – Hammersmith Broadway, alight at the Royal Albert Hall
- 52 Victoria Bus Station – Willesden Bus Garage, alight at the Royal Albert Hall
- 360 Elephant and Castle Station – Prince Consort Rd, alight at Prince Consort Rd
- 14 Tottenham Court Road – Putney Heath, alight at South Kensington Station
- 49 Battersea Rise – Shepherd’s Bush Grn, alight at South Kensington Station
- 70 Acton – South Kensington Station, alight at South Kensington Station
- 74 Baker Street Station – Putney, alight at South Kensington Station
- 345 Peckham Bus Station – South Kensington Station, alight at South Kensington Station
- 414 Maida Vale – Putney Bridge, alight at South Kensington Station
Car parking near South Kensington is severely restricted and you are advised NOT to bring a car unless permission has been given. After 6pm, at weekends and during vacations the car park of Imperial College (next to the Royal Geographical Society) is open to the paying public. Parking in the streets surrounding the Royal Geographical Society is at pay and display or parking meters for limited periods only.