Initiatives to promote diversity
These actions are aimed at addressing inequality more broadly and will help to address the gender pay gap. This is in recognition of the intersectional nature of women’s existence, i.e. women hold multiple identities and may also experience barriers due to age, disability, gender re-assignment, religion and belief, race and sexual orientation.
Learning and Development/College overview
- Regularly-trained HR staff who advise managers on pay at recruitment, promotion and during our annual pay relativity exercise
- Equality training on specific topics e.g. Harassment and Bullying, Disability, Mental Health, being an effective Active Bystander
- Annual pay relativity review for every member of staff informed by the provision of benchmark data with recommendations moderated centrally
- An independent Remuneration Committee that makes decisions on remuneration for the College’s most senior staff
- Starting salary policy
- The College has an Equality, Diversity & Inclusion Strategy Group that is chaired by the Provost, and membership includes the Deans of each Faculty. The Group is supported by the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Forum, whose members are drawn from across the College community and include staff and students. The Forum serves as a listening post to capture and discuss all manner of EDI issues, and to work on proposals for action that can be presented to the Strategy Group.
- The appointment of an Assistant Provost (Equality, Diversity and Inclusion), reporting to the Provost
- In addition to the above, the College's Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Strategy [pdf] includes in section 4.3.1 action in support of gender equality.
- Activities to elicit views and experiences that are acted upon e.g. ‘Have Your Say’ campaigns, the Staff Survey, focus groups to address specific issues
- The College’s behavioural principles for all staff, Imperial Expectations, designed to promote a positive working environment and which are embedded in key processes
- New staff are introduced to Imperial Expectations, and our equality, diversity and inclusion requirements via Imperial Essentials
- Centrally-supported diversity networks – Imperial As One for BAME staff, Able@Imperial for disabled staff and Imperial 600 for LGBT staff
- Events that showcase equality and promote inclusion e.g. Women@Imperial, celebration of Black History Month, Disability History Month
- College awards to celebrate those whose contributions have supported academic women
- College involvement in the Stonewall Workplace Index and signing up for the Race Equality Charter
- Formation of a working group with membership from the Joint Trades Unions and stakeholders to deep-dive into data on recruitment, promotion, flexible working, starting salaries and family-friendly leave return rates in relation to gender, ethnicity and intersectional pay gaps.
- Progressive policies that enhance inclusion e.g. shared parental leave that is available for same-sex couples, a Trans policy [pdf], dyslexia support, comprehensive mental health and well-being support, counselling support, Harassment Support Contacts, Staff Supporters, grants for carers to attend conferences, flexible working and award-winning family-friendly initiatives.
Some of the downloadable documents linked to on this page are not accessible. For accessible versions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.