During or after your employment at the College, you may find that prospective new employers, education providers or a recruiting manager here at the College will need an employment reference.  Reference requests should ideally be sent to your most recent line manager; alternatively, they can be sent to the HR Staff Hub.  

If you need a reference to confirm your salary – this may be for a mortgage application or to rent a property – please ask the HR Staff Hub.

Please see the below FAQ for more information.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can give a reference for me on behalf of the College?

For an employment reference, ideally it is best to ask your most recent line manager, who should be able to do this for you. If you feel that another senior member of staff would be more appropriate, you may wish to discuss this with the HR Staff Hub or, alternatively, ask the HR Staff Hub to confirm brief details of your employment (a ‘factual reference’).

References to confirm your salary, for a mortgage application or to rent a property, are also provided by the HR Staff Hub.

Do I have to give consent for my reference to be given?

Yes – you can provide your consent on your leavers form or write to your referee to give your consent. If it is not clear whether or not you have given consent, then the referee may contact you to verify, or they may not provide a reference until you have contacted them.

You can withdraw your consent for your reference to be given by contacting the HR Staff Hub or Recruitment Hub in writing.

Do you need to take references if I am offered a new role at the College but I am already employed at the College?

If you apply for a new role at the College, whether it is at the same job level and pay, a higher job level or a move in a new direction, you will need to provide referee details. You will be asked to agree to the Data Privacy Policy Statement when completing your job application on TalentLink, which confirms your consent for your referees to be contacted. The HR Recruitment Hub will usually only seek one reference if you are a successful internal candidate, from your current line manager. However, your new line manager can use their discretion as to whether references are required or not.

If you are promoted to a new job level following the Job Level Review process, you won’t need to provide referee details.

What information will my reference cover?

Confirmation of employment references for the purpose of confirming your salary tend to include the following information:

  • Job Title
  • Normal working hours
  • Salary per annum
  • Date employment commenced
  • Date contracts ends

Employment references tend to include the following information:

  • Job title
  • A brief outline of your job
  • Dates of employment
  • Reasons for leaving

For example:

Job Title: Research Technician

Outline of Role: To provide a range of technical support to the research conducted by the Section of xx. This included collecting samples and using xx techniques to extract data. In addition, duties also included laboratory administrative responsibilities.

Dates of Employment: 1 January 2017 – 31 March 2019

Reason for Leaving: Resignation

If you left under a settlement agreement and have agreed a reference with the College, only this agreed reference will be used.


Who can help if I need further information or assistance?

If you are at all concerned about the content or type of reference you may receive, particularly if you have experienced unacceptable behaviour, please speak to your HR Strategic Partner, who can offer advice.

If you have any other queries, please contact the HR Staff Hub.