Here we have compiled a list of frequently asked questions. If you require further information on anything that is not detailed below then please contact the Casual Worker team.


Can a casual worker begin before they've had their right to work check?

No. The department should advise the worker not to start until they have had a right to work check. The department should inform the Casual Worker Team that they wish to utilise a new worker by inputting the new worker on the Requirement Schedule. If the worker's right to work information does not automtically populate upon entering the CID, the worker is not registered. The Casual Worker Team will contact the individual and ensure they have completed their right to work check. The Team will then cc the Hiring Manager and Authoriser in the confirmation to the email, signalling that right to work has been checked and the worker can begin their assignment.

Who will manage the process when a worker's right to work check is coming to an end?

The Casual Worker Team will contact the worker, the departmental approver and hiring manager when the right to work is coming to an end. The Casual Worker Team will then arrange a follow up right to work check with the worker. The Team will then email the department to confirm that the follow up check has been completed. If you do not receive such an email, the worker cannot work past the expiration of their right to work.

How will it be ensured that Tier 4 students are working the correct amount of hours?

A worker with restricions on the amount of hours they can work per week is visible when the CID is entered on the Requirement Schedule. Equally, the same information is available on the Registered Casual Worker List. It is then down to the worker and manager to ensure that the worker does not breach these restrictions, especially when the worker is working for different managers or departments.

Will the Casual Worker team check that the student does not breach their allowance of working hours?

The Casual Worker Timesheet app will not allow workers to submit timesheets for work that exceeds their visa restrictions.  However, because this is not until after the fact, it is crucial that departmental managers are aware of the number of hours worked by a worker, and whether they undertake any other casual work, to prevent a breach.

Do you have a way to ensure that students working in multiple roles and/or organizations don’t exceed their maximum hours?

Our system will we be able to eliminate this risk for work undertaken within the College across multiple departments. However, workers are not able to record external working hours so if they work elsewhere, they must ensure they limit how many hours they can work in College so they do not breach their visa restrictions.

Requirements Schedule (RS)

How often should we add Requirement Schedules?

You can add requirements throughout the year as they become known.  Some requirements are planned and ideally would be added to the schedule at least three months ahead. Ad hoc requirements should be added as soon as they arise.

Can we add requirements throughout the year?

You can add requirements throughout the year as they become known.  Some requirements are planned and ideally would be added to the schedule at least three months ahead.  Ad hoc requirements should be added as soon as they arise.

Do I need to attach a student demonstrator or GTA to a particular course?

No. The course or module is not required on the Requirements Schedule.

If I need 90 student demonstrators, should I enter 90 lines in the Requirements Schedule?

Yes.  That's correct.  You can use the Clone button to create a new RS with all the same information about the assignment, then add a different worker.

How do we manage where one worker will do different types of work at different pay rates?

A new row is not needed for every assignment the worker will undertake.  As long as the additional activity fall under the same role only  Requirement Schedule is needed.  If activities are paid at different rates, a multi-rate role is recommended, which allows the worker to select from the available rates when entering a timesheet. If the assignment falls under a different "work type" or role, then an additional Requirement Schedule will be needed. 

Are multiple departmental approvers allowed?

Yes. Departments can decide which members of staff may have access to approve timesheets as a Hiring Manager (Level 1 approval) and which are able to approve timesheets as a Payroll Approver (Level 2 approval).  Payroll Approvers must be confirmed by the Faculty Finance Officer as having Pay8B approval for the cost centres they are charging casual work to.

Casual Hours Agreement (CHA)

Is the new CHA the same as the old Letter of Understanding (LOU)?

The CHA replaces the LOU.  It will cover multiple roles that the worker might undertake with College.   Additional CHAs will only be required if the casual worker is undertaking a different type of work activitiy or a work activity that is at a different rate of pay.

If an individual is working in different roles with different pay rates over the same period will the CHA cover that?

One CHA will cover multiple roles, each with different standard pay rates.  The document will link to generic role descriptions and standard pay rates for each.  As long as the department is paying the standard rate or above then a single CHA will cover it.

Will the worker need another CHA if they take on an assignment in another department?

No.  The CHA is an agreement between College and the worker.  It will apply to any casual work they undertake for any department, as long as it falls under the same 'work type'.

If we want to increase someone's pay rate, how do we do that?

Please contact the Casual Worker team using the button above to discuss this further.

When will the department be notified of the casual worker's CID/Assignment number?

The CID will be included in the Casual Hours Agreement, which will be issued to the departmental authoriser, hiring manager and worker.

Casual worker payment

How do casual workers get paid?

Please see the Worker payment section on the Hiring casual workers page for more details on this process. 

Will casual workers go directly to the Casual Worker team for payroll issues?

Yes.  The team should always be the first point of contact for any queries, as they can investigate the issue and liaise between the worker, department and/or payroll.

Who will communicate to students if their pay is going to be less than expected?

The Casual Worker team will investigate pay deductions and be the first point of contact for pay queries from the workers. The team will liaise with Payroll if there are issues such as incorrect tax deductions. If there is then a dispute over pay amount the team will liaise with the department. It is anticipated that when a new system is implemented, this will have functionality to also provide payslips, which will help reduce queries in future.

Why are their delays in payment when we hire a bursary recipient?

The HR system (ICIS) doesn’t allow two types of pay in the same payroll run, i.e. in a single month. Therefore, students can’t receive a bursary payment and be paid as a casual worker in the same month.

If a worker is on a contract with Imperial, can they undertake casual work?

Unfortunately, due to limitations of our systems, a worker can only be registered for one type of payment. As such, if a worker is on a fixed, part-time, or full-time contract with Imperial, they cannot be paid for casual work.


How will a casual worker record be terminated?

We would like to avoid students having to be repeatedly setup for the same role.  Their scheduled course time and visa validity period will be used to establish their record for a suitable period of time. The departmental responsibility will be to submit the Pay 8B forms. The Casual Worker team will then track any leavers.

How long will a casual worker remain on the system before their record is terminated?

For students holding a Tier 4 visa, their record will be set to expire at the end of their visa - which would usually coincide with the end of their studies. For students that do not require a visa, their record will remain valid until the end of their course. For externals casual workers, we are looking to set their record to terminate on a yearly basis.