Opening a bank account
Print a leaflet
When coming to work in the UK you will probably need to open a bank account. The rules and regulations for opening a bank account in the UK are very strict, therefore, please do take as much documentation with you as you can.
Before you come to the UK
When coming to work at the College from overseas you may wish to consider carrying out the following steps before you actually come to the UK:
- The bank in your home country may have a special relationship with a bank in the UK. Speak to your bank before you leave for the UK.
- Ask your bank if you can use your cash card in UK bank machines and if there is any charge.
- Find out how you can transfer money to and from the UK and how much this costs.
There are two main types of bank account for managing everyday money, a basic account and a current account. Banks in the UK do not charge a fee for basic and current accounts. A third type of account is a packaged account, customers pay a monthly fee for these accounts in exchange for benefits such as travel, home and mobile phone insurance.
In order to open one of these accounts you will need to complete an application form and provide certain personal information and documentation.
If you are based at the South Kensington campus, you may wish to open a bank account at the Santander Bank branch located on the Walkway on Level 2 of the Sherfield Building. To open a bank account at this branch, you will need to take the following documentation:
- An introduction letter confirming your job details as specified below and
- Your passport or EEA national identity card
The introduction letter can be supplied by your Line Manager or by your HR representative. The letter will need to contain the following information:
- Your name
- Date of birth
- UK address confirmation (if the address you provide is temporary, please bear in mind that Santander will forward your confidential account information to this address and also that you may need to ensure that such information will be forwarded on to you if you move)
- Job title
- Salary (per annum)
- Contract end date (if applicable)
The bank account can then be opened with immediate effect.
For more information or to make an appointment at the branch please contact Tel: +44 (0) 5511 431271
For staff based on other campuses, your colleagues or the HR Office will be able to advise you on the location of the nearest bank or building society.
Should you require further information on UK banking, the British Bankers Association has a downloadable leaflet (PDF document) with information on how to open a bank account if you are new or are returning to the UK, along with information on all aspects of Current Accounts including bank cards, switching accounts and joint accounts.