Professor of Practice
The Department of Management & Entrepreneurship wishes to retain and improve its position as a world-leading research and teaching centre in innovation and now seeks to appoint a Professor of Practice (part-time) with outstanding expertise in artificial intelligence and its applications to critical business sectors such as finance and health, including translational efforts to bring theory into practice. The Professor of Practice will work...
Job listing information
- Reference BUS00271
- Date posted 28 July 2020
- Closing date 26 August 2020
The Department of Management & Entrepreneurship wishes to retain and improve its position as a world-leading research and teaching centre in innovation and now seeks to appoint a Professor of Practice (part-time) with outstanding expertise in artificial intelligence and its applications to critical business sectors such as finance and health, including translational efforts to bring theory into practice. The Professor of Practice will work with programme directors on teaching innovations, contribute to teaching and in-class guest speakers. As Professor of Practice, you will contribute to ‘thought leadership’ and policy debate in innovation, with particular focus on applications of artificial intelligence and big data/analytics in the finance and health sectors. You will also, more broadly, participate in discussion within the government and corporate policy to promote innovation and entrepreneurship supported by analytic disciplines. As Professor of Practice, you will be instrumental in the area of Digital Transformation to serve as a focal point for students, faculty research, and in industry and government collaborations.
Duties and responsibilities
- Amplify efforts around the Digital Transformation topic by contributing to policy debate and forming a principal interface of the Department, particularly at the axis of artificial intelligence, across the College and at external institutions, industry, and government policy bodies.
- Develop an initiative, in conjunction with startup and established market participants, around the topic of digital assets (identification, valuation, and portfolio management) and related topics in the digital transformation of financial services.
- Develop a project that brings computational social science methods to policy experiments, evaluations, e.g., quantify the economic effects of efforts to create or cultivate innovation ecosystems.
- Lead the effort to consolidate world-class teaching around digital transformation themes, especially with regard to online learning.
- A Master’s degree or higher degree in a relevant discipline or equivalent experience
- Direct experience working within the financial and health sectors in an influential capacity, preferably as a senior manager/business builder in fintech and/or health tech.
- Extensive network in the financial sector with strong relationships with senior management in financial institutions, fintech investors, and government stakeholders.
- Substantive network in the health sector with strong relationships with senior management in pharmaceuticals/biotech and/or health innovation investors.
- Knowledge and experience in advanced digital technologies
- Experience of innovation in digital health, financial services, and/ or financial technology.
- Experience in designing, deploying and managing financial and health software platforms.
- Proven ability to raise significant funding in an academic setting
- Proven track record of delivering multidisciplinary projects to time and cost.
- Experience in working on real-world problems in artificial intelligence and data/analytics.
- Extensive experience in teaching in higher education at the graduate level, such as an adjunct associate professor, associate fellow, or equivalent rank, including in the areas of fintech, blockchain, health data, entrepreneurship, corporate innovation, and adjacent spaces.
- Publication track record in business press (books, book chapters, and/or articles) on relevant topics.
- Knowledge and experience with online learning, preferably in a tier one academic institution.
- Well-developed presentation skills suitable for senior audiences.
- Ability to devise and direct projects.
- Ability to lead research teams and to supervise the work of others.
- Proven ability to be innovative and dynamic in approach.
- Ability to work within a multidisciplinary team.
- Collaborative and able to build and sustain effective working relationships, both internally and externally.
This is for one-year fixed term contract with the potential for renewal, subject to funding. It is part-time, at 25-30% of the full time equivalent.
For further information on the recruitment process please contact: Maria Monteiro, Senior Appointments and Welcome Service Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org Telephone: +44 (0)207 594 5498
The College is a proud signatory to the San-Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), which means that in hiring and promotion decisions, we evaluate applicants on the quality of their work, not the journal impact factor where it is published. For more information, see www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-evaluation/
The College believes that the use of animals in research is vital to improve human and animal health and welfare. Animals may only be used in research programmes where their use is shown to be necessary for developing new treatments and making medical advances. Imperial is committed to ensuring that, in cases where this research is deemed essential, all animals in the College’s care are treated with full respect, and that all staff involved with this work show due consideration at every level.www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-integrity/animal-research
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
All Imperial employees are expected to follow the 7 principles of Imperial Expectations:
- Champion a positive approach to change and opportunity
- Communicate regularly and effectively within, and across, teams
- Consider the thoughts and expectations of others
- Deliver positive outcomes
- Encourage inclusive participation and eliminate discrimination
- Develop and grow skills and expertise
- Work in a planned and managed way
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment. We are an Athena SWAN Silver award winner, a Stonewall Diversity Champion, a Disability Confident Employer and work in partnership with GIRES to promote respect for trans people.
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.
Disability Confident leader
Imperial is a Disability Confident leader
Imperial is working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect and provide equal treatment for trans people