Cloud Specialist Level 4
As a Cloud Specialist Level 4, you will be part of a team of engineers building cloud infrastructure for teams across Imperial. Whether you’re collaborating with Product teams in ICT, with covid researchers from the Faculty of Medicine, or our Business School professors, you will lend your expertise to build smart, scalable solutions in Azure using a modern tech stack. You will help turn requirements and designs into fully-fledged solutions,...
Job listing information
- Reference COO00886
- Date posted 8 September 2023
- Closing date 28 September 2023
As a Cloud Specialist Level 4, you will be part of a team of engineers building cloud infrastructure for teams across Imperial. Whether you’re collaborating with Product teams in ICT, with covid researchers from the Faculty of Medicine, or our Business School professors, you will lend your expertise to build smart, scalable solutions in Azure using a modern tech stack.
You will help turn requirements and designs into fully-fledged solutions, using Infrastructure as Code (IaC), that will enable teams to take advantage of all the cloud has to offer. Identifying common cloud use cases, you will work with the wider DataCentre Team to create Terraform modules or other repeatable patterns that can be quickly deployed and consumed more widely.
Current tech stack:
- Terraform and Terraform Cloud
- Azure, with emphasis on PaaS Functions
- Kubernetes, Azure Kubernetes Service
Duties and responsibilities
- Provide expert day-to-day technical support for cloud infrastructure deployed within the Azure Landing Zone and elsewhere as agreed.
- Work with teams across ICT Product Teams, and the wider College, to deploy cloud infrastructure, which they in turn can use to deploy their services.
- Continuously improve and develop our cloud infrastructure in line with best practice.
- Identify opportunities to streamline delivery by creating repeatable patterns (e.g. Terraform modules) which can be consumed by other teams/Azure users, in line with our drive to self-service.
- Knowledge and understanding of the concepts, technologies, and advantages of cloud computing.
- Demonstrable knowledge of Azure services and concepts, and hands-on experience of Azure, preferably in an enterprise-scale environment.
- Understanding of the well-architected framework and cloud architecture best practice.
- Experience of evaluating and optimising containerised solutions for cost/performance etc.
- Knowledge of and practical experience with Terraform and/or Terraform Cloud.
- Practical experience of deploying and managing cloud resources using IaC.
- Experience working with source control, preferably GitHub
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent working experience.
- Experience of working with DevOps principles in mind.
Desirable skills and experience:
- Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery (CI/CD)
- Supporting internal customers in an enterprise ICT environment.
- Good knowledge of Azure native services and cloud-agnostic alternatives.
- Agile delivery methods (Scrum, Kanban, etc).
- Azure Administrator (AZ-104) qualified.
- AWS Practitioner and/or AWS Solutions Architect – Associate qualified.
This is a full time and open ended role, and you will be based in the South Kensington Campus.
Candidates will need to complete an online application for this role.
If you have any questions about working at Imperial, or would like to discuss this role in further detail, please contact Robert Sprigens on 07708 294579 or ICTTalent@Imperial.ac.uk
This is a fantastic opportunity to work at a top 10 world leading University that regularly contributes to real world advances to our global society. In return you will be rewarded with an excellent salary and pension package as well as access to a wealth of benefits like:
- Flexible working
- Free eye tests
- Cycle to work scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement
- Discounted gym memberships
- Family leave entitlement and an onsite nursery
- Study loan scheme, plus continuous learning and development
Full information can be found on our benefits summary webpage
Imperial provides generous annual leave benefits. You receive a standard 25 days of holiday leave a year, plus extra closure days - which can work out that you get up to 40 days leave per year! See our HR pages for more information:
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
ICT is passionate about attracting and recruiting diverse talent, including greater representation of women in technology. This is achieved through multiple external partnerships and initiatives, ensuring the department has representation from all communities and minority groups.
We value Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) and we have dedicated EDI Champions within ICT whose role it is to find ways of removing barriers, highlighting ways to improve, taking action to create a culture of equity.
You can find out more about EDI in ICT and our partnerships here on our ICT EDI webpage - https://www.imperial.ac.uk/admin-services/ict/about-ict/join-our-team/edi/
All applicants will receive equal treatment regardless of their protected characteristics, ensuring equality of opportunity for all.
Both Imperial and ICT regularly promote and celebrate Equality, Diversity and Inclusion events, creating an inclusive working environment, community and culture for everyone.
Hybrid working may be considered for this role. Staff working in roles that are suitable for hybrid working will normally be expected to work 60% of their time onsite. The opportunity for hybrid working will be discussed at interview.
More information is available on the following web page: Work Location Categories (from 30 September 2023) | Administration and support services | Imperial College London
More information on Imperial’s Equality, Diversity and Inclusion practice: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/equality
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity and to eliminating discrimination. All employees are expected to follow the Imperial Values & Behaviours framework. Our values are:
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender reassignment, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email email@example.com.
Top 10 Employer for Working Families
Top 10 employer for working families
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.
Disability Confident leader
Imperial is a Disability Confident leader
Imperial is working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect and provide equal treatment for trans people