Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Cell and Developmental Biology
Imperial College London is one of the world’s best research institutes and ranks top in the UK overall for research. The Department of Life Sciences embraces the full breadth of modern life science activity and comprises one of the largest life science groups in Europe. We are now seeking applications for up to 5 academic faculty positions as Lecturer or Senior Lecturer starting in the 2022-23 academic year in any area of life sciences. This...
Job listing information
- Reference NAT01324
- Date posted 7 November 2022
- Closing date 19 December 2022
Imperial College London is one of the world’s best research institutes and ranks top in the UK overall for research. The Department of Life Sciences embraces the full breadth of modern life science activity and comprises one of the largest life science groups in Europe.
We are now seeking applications for up to 5 academic faculty positions as Lecturer or Senior Lecturer starting in the 2022-23 academic year in any area of life sciences.
This includes but is not limited to:
Biotechnology and Engineering https://www.imperial.ac.uk/jobs/description/NAT01322/lecturersenior-lecturer-biotechnology-and-engineering-biology
Plant Sciences and Food Security https://www.imperial.ac.uk/jobs/description/NAT01323/lecturersenior-lecturer-plant-sciences-and-food-security
Cell and Developmental Biology https://www.imperial.ac.uk/jobs/description/NAT01324/lecturersenior-lecturer-cell-and-developmental-biology
Molecular Mechanisms of Disease https://www.imperial.ac.uk/jobs/description/NAT01325/lecturersenior-lecturer-molecular-mechanisms-disease
Applications may address more than one priority area, and multi-disciplinary approaches are particularly welcome
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/jobs/description/NAT01326/lecturersenior-lecturer-department-life-sciencesThe positions are open to outstanding candidates whose research and teaching is focused on seeking solutions for global challenges across the breadth of Life Sciences. Appointees are expected to broaden the Department’s research capabilities, while complementing our existing strengths:
We especially welcome applicants who are female or from other under-represented groups.
Duties and responsibilities
- Undertake original research at a high international standard in the following fields: Infection and Immunity; Biotechnology and Engineering Biology; Plant Sciences and Food Security; Cell and Developmental Biology; Molecular Mechanisms of Disease.
- Publish the results of this research in internationally recognised peer reviewed journals
- Obtain external funding to support the research from Government Research Councils, Charity, Industry and other national and international funding agencies
- Contribute to teaching and examination on appropriate courses of the undergraduate Biochemistry and Biological Sciences degree streams within the Department of Life Sciences
- Contribute to teaching and examination on appropriate Masters courses within the Department of Life Sciences
- Supervise MRes/MPhil/PhD research students
- To undertake appropriate administrative tasks as directed by the Head of Department
- To undertake necessary training and/or development
- You should hold a PhD (or equivalent) in Life Sciences or a related discipline.
- A proven track record in conducting high quality independent research, as evidenced by high quality publications in peer reviewed journals.
- Experience of training undergraduate and postgraduate students
- Experience of preparing grant applications for submission
- Experience of developing skills in leading, motivating, developing and managing the performance of colleagues
- An effective communicator, conveying ideas and concepts clearly and effectively to a range of audiences through a variety of methods and media
- An ability to raise significant research funding from a variety of sources, commensurate with your career stage
Summary of the levels:
The appointee will be able to demonstrate their ability to produce independent research and will have developed the skills to take a more active role in teaching and supervision.
The appointee will have extensive professional experience and will be able to demonstrate a reputation in their field based on their achievements in either teaching or research. The appointee will be expected to demonstrate their independence through their body of original research work or record of teaching impact.
Candidates are required to complete an online application via our website at https://www.imperial.ac.uk/jobs/
The College is a proud signatory to the San-Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), which means that in hiring and promotion decisions, we evaluate applicants on the quality of their work, not the journal impact factor where it is published. For more information, see https://www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-evaluation/
The College believes that the use of animals in research is vital to improve human and animal health and welfare. Animals may only be used in research programmes which are ultimately aimed towards finding new treatments and making scientific and medical advances, and where there are no satisfactory or reasonably practical alternatives to their use. Imperial is committed to ensuring that, in cases where this research is deemed essential, all animals in the College’s care are treated with full respect, and that all staff involved with this work show due consideration at every level. Find out more about animal research at Imperial.
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity and to eliminating discrimination. All employees are expected to follow the Imperial Values & Behaviours framework. Our values are:
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender reassignment, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Top 10 Employer for Working Families
Top 10 employer for working families
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.
Disability Confident leader
Imperial is a Disability Confident leader
Imperial is working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect and provide equal treatment for trans people