Executive Assistant to the Head of Department, Department of Life Sciences (Maternity Cover)
The Executive Assistant is responsible for providing executive level, project management and HR administrative support for the Head of Department of Life Sciences. Working closely with the Head of Department (HoD) and Department Operations Manager (DOM), you will ensure that the HoD’s Office runs smoothly. You are expected to take a proactive approach to ensure that you understand and keep up to date with the Head of Department’s...
Job listing information
- Reference NAT01532
- Date posted 18 September 2023
- Closing date 2 October 2023
The Executive Assistant is responsible for providing executive level, project management and HR administrative support for the Head of Department of Life Sciences. Working closely with the Head of Department (HoD) and Department Operations Manager (DOM), you will ensure that the HoD’s Office runs smoothly. You are expected to take a proactive approach to ensure that you understand and keep up to date with the Head of Department’s activities in order to be able to co-ordinate projects, manage project timelines liaising with senior stakeholders and staff as required.
Duties and responsibilities
- Provide comprehensive support to the ongoing academic recruitment project, working closely with the HoD and Deputy HoD ensuring plans are smoothly delivered within tight timescales.
- Manage any ad-hoc or planned projects, as directed by the HoD, with respect to the strategic and/or operational needs of the Department.
- Attend and provide support to the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee (EDIc) as required, and to contribute to the application for an Athena SWAN Silver Award.
- Lead on managing the probationary process for all academic and Learning and Teaching staff at South Kensington campus, including arranging panels for lectureship probations, liaising with the appropriate line manager and academic adviser for completion of forms and ensuring HR are informed of any concerns in a timely manner.
- Act as Departmental contact for all South Kensington (SK) based academic staff related HR matters for example, the administration of academic staff appointments and promotions.
- Work closely with the Departmental Operations Manager to ensure contractual changes are kept up-to-date, including honoraria.
- Be responsible for the timely organisation of all aspects of the annual review conversation process (ARC) for all staff as one of the Departmental ARC Champions.
- Provide support for staff grading, performance pay and academic promotion reviews for all South Kensington based academic staff, staff, performance pay reviews, academic promotion reviews, including organisation of panel meetings, documentation, and participation on panels, where appropriate.
- To be an active member of relevant working groups and committees and represent and promote the Department to ensure that issues are raised appropriately and acted upon accordingly.
- Undertake relevant training to keep informed of current issues, policies, procedures and legislation.
- To engage in such other activities as are consistent with the key responsibilities of the post at Departmental or College level, as directed by the Department Operations Manager and in consultation with the Deputy Head of Department.
- Substantial hands-on experience in a similar or related role, demonstrating development through involvement in a series of progressively more demanding work/roles.
- Experience in project management.
- Previous experience of working in a research or academic environment.
- Experience of recruitment and selection process and procedures and interviewing.
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines, both prescribed and self- imposed, while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Dealing with a variety of professionals and staff at all levels.
This is a full time, fixed term position for 12 months, covering a maternity leave. You will be based at South Kensington Campus.
Should you require any further details on the role please contact: Mrs Geetika Masters (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Hybrid working may be considered for this role and the role holder may be expected to work 60% or more of their time onsite, with 40% the minimum time spent onsite. The opportunity for hybrid working will be discussed at interview.
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity and to eliminating discrimination. All employees are expected to follow the Imperial Values & Behaviours framework. Our values are:
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender reassignment, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email email@example.com.
Top 10 Employer for Working Families
Top 10 employer for working families
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.
Disability Confident leader
Imperial is a Disability Confident leader
Imperial is working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect and provide equal treatment for trans people