Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Climate Change or Environmental Biology
Imperial College London, one of the world’s foremost centres for research and teaching in the Natural and Physical Sciences, Medicine, Engineering, and Business, invites applications for a permanent faculty member position at Lecturer/Senior Lecturer level in Climate Change or Environmental Biology, starting in the 2023-24 academic year. You will conduct research in any suitable area within the field of Climate Change or Environmental...
Job listing information
- Reference NAT01544
- Date posted 14 November 2023
- Closing date 14 January 2024
Imperial College London, one of the world’s foremost centres for research and teaching in the Natural and Physical Sciences, Medicine, Engineering, and Business, invites applications for a permanent faculty member position at Lecturer/Senior Lecturer level in Climate Change or Environmental Biology, starting in the 2023-24 academic year.
You will conduct research in any suitable area within the field of Climate Change or Environmental Biology (which could include ecology, evolution or conservation), and will teach and mentor students at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
Imperial is a multidisciplinary space for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle global challenges. Your main place of work will be the Silwood Park campus in Berkshire with rail links to central London and Imperial college’s other campuses. Silwood park is 88 hectares in size incorporating green space and long-term ecological experiments. The site has a 75-year history of transformative research in the environmental sciences.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We especially welcome applicants who are women or from other under-represented groups.
Duties and responsibilities
- To develop and lead a broad range of research in Climate Change or Environmental Biology.
- To supervise, train and mentor research staff and students.
- To support their research by obtaining research grants.
- To publish research in peer reviewed journals.
- To attend and present work at conferences.
- To play a role in the international research community
- To teach at all levels through lectures and seminars
- To examine at all levels through exam setting, coursework setting, marking and viva style examinations
- To mentor students of all levels through personal tutorials, and supervision.
- To provide pastoral support for students.
- To contribute to curriculum development.
- To contribute to the enhancement of teaching within the field.
Contribution to the running of the department and college
- To collaborate with colleagues within the Department, across all departments and with other research organisations
- To show initiative in managing your academic group
- To attend relevant academic or management committees.
- To comply with the College policy on Equal Opportunities policy, Health and Safety and other matters.
- To undertake appropriate administrative duties
- To undertake necessary training and/or development.
- Hold a PhD (or equivalent) in a discipline that underpins Climate Change or Environmental Biology
- A developing national reputation and expertise in your field (commensurate with career stage)
- A portfolio of research publications, confirming national standing (commensurate with career stage)
- Knowledge of how to plan a research programme that would be feasible to carry out at Imperial College
- Experience of training, examining, and providing pastoral care for Undergraduate and Postgraduate students
- A commitment to high quality teaching and fostering a positive learning environment for students
Please see the Further Particulars for more details on the key duties and essential requirements for this position
Please note that this position is for Senior lecturer or Lecturer levels only. Please refer to the relevant Academic payscales and Further Particulars for more information.
There will be an open information session on 14th December 2023 at midday UK time. In order to register to attend the information session please send a short e-mail request to Daniel Perrett: firstname.lastname@example.org before 5pm UK time on 13th December 2023. The information session is optional, we equally welcome applications from those who attend and those cannot attend for any reason. The information session will be recorded and the recording made available to any prospective candidate by e-mail request to Daniel Perrett.
Candidates are required to complete an online application via our website at https://www.imperial.ac.uk/jobs/
Informal enquiries may be made to: Professor James Rosindell, (Chair, selection panel; email@example.com)
For technical issues when applying online please email Support Jobs: firstname.lastname@example.org
The College is a proud signatory to the San-Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), which means that in hiring and promotion decisions, we evaluate applicants on the quality of their work, not the journal impact factor where it is published. For more information, see https://www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-evaluation/
The College believes that the use of animals in research is vital to improve human and animal health and welfare. Animals may only be used in research programmes where their use is shown to be necessary for developing new treatments and making medical advances. Imperial is committed to ensuring that, in cases where this research is deemed essential, all animals in the College’s care are treated with full respect, and that all staff involved with this work show due consideration at every level.
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity and to eliminating discrimination. All employees are expected to follow the Imperial Values & Behaviours framework. Our values are:
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender reassignment, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email email@example.com.
Top 10 Employer for Working Families
Top 10 employer for working families
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.
Disability Confident leader
Imperial is a Disability Confident leader
Imperial is working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect and provide equal treatment for trans people