An exciting opportunity has arisen for a talented Research Manager to join the Grantham Institute, working closely with the Director of Operations and Director of Research on the strategic development and management of Institute research activities. This is a broad role that spans the identification of key funding opportunities, developing effective collaborations with stakeholders across academia, government and business, and managing the...
Job listing information
- Reference NAT01587
- Date posted 16 November 2023
- Closing date 7 December 2023
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a talented Research Manager to join the Grantham Institute, working closely with the Director of Operations and Director of Research on the strategic development and management of Institute research activities. This is a broad role that spans the identification of key funding opportunities, developing effective collaborations with stakeholders across academia, government and business, and managing the preparation of high-quality research grant proposals. The role also has responsibility for managing the complex portfolio of funded projects within the Institute. This requires building strong relationships with a variety of funders and partners as well as internal support functions, and excellent financial management.
We are looking for a someone with an in-depth knowledge of Higher Education processes and systems, with experience in research development and project management. You will be flexible and work well as part of a team, have excellent interpersonal and communications skills, and have a keen curiosity about climate change and the environment.
Duties and responsibilities
- Work with the Director of Research and other academic staff to develop a research strategy that aligns with the aims and objectives of the Institute.
- Lead and develop the Grantham Affiliates scheme for staff across Imperial.
- Build strategic relationships with funders in the public and private sector.
- Identify relevant funding opportunities, plan and deliver interventions to build interest for larger interdisciplinary proposals, and assist with bid applications.
- Manage the preparation of proposal budgets, ensuring grants are costed appropriately.
- Manage the Grantham Institute’s complex research and innovation portfolio, including pre- and post-award processes.
- Monitor active projects, forecast spend, ensure overheads are on track and resources are allocated appropriately. As required, initiate recruitment processes and manage staff contracts.
- Provide detailed project management support for key high-profile initiatives such as World Weather Attribution.
- Act as primary management contact with the project sponsors.
- Attend meetings and events internally and externally as required to represent and promote the research interests of the Grantham Institute and Imperial.
- Line-manage the research and project administrator.
- Educated to at least degree level in a relevant discipline or have equivalent experience, with an interest in climate-related issues.
- Experience of managing relationships with researchers, funders and stakeholders in business and government.
- Experience in preparation of bids and/or grant proposals.
- Strong financial and budgetary management experience.
- Experience in managing projects with multiple partners in an academic and/or technical environment.
- Knowledge of the UK HEI environment including common research funders and FEC.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strategic thinking with an ability to identify new opportunities for research development.
- Strong IT skills, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and electronic finance / database systems.
- Ability to work well under pressure, to manage competing priorities, deadlines, and a diverse workload.
This role is full time, fixed term for two years. You will be based at South Kensington Campus.
We would welcome someone on secondment. Please confirm with your line manager before submitting an application.
If you are thinking about applying for this job and want to discuss it further, please contact Grantham Institute Director of Operations Laila Read firstname.lastname@example.org
Want help submitting your application? Please visit the Grantham Institute’s Tips on how to submit a successful application.
Find out more about the Community and Culture at the Grantham Institute.
Should you have any queries about the application process, please contact Gosia Gayer, email@example.com.
Hybrid working may be considered for this role. Staff working in roles that are suitable for hybrid working will normally be expected to work 60% of their time onsite. The opportunity for hybrid working will be discussed at interview.
More information is available on the following web page: Work Location Categories (from 30 September 2023) | Administration and support services | Imperial College London
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity and to eliminating discrimination. All employees are expected to follow the Imperial Values & Behaviours framework. Our values are:
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender reassignment, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Top 10 Employer for Working Families
Top 10 employer for working families
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Race Equality Charter Bronze Award
Athena SWAN Silver Award 2016
We renewed our Silver in the April 2016 submission round. Recognising advancement of gender equality.
Disability Confident leader
Imperial is a Disability Confident leader
Imperial is working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect and provide equal treatment for trans people