News and events
On this page you will find updates from CATO events and news that we hope will be of interest to you. We will also regularly post presentation materials from CATO events.
Please click on the relevant headings below to view more detail.
Academic Opportunities for Junior Doctors: 10 October 2016
We were joined by over 70 clinical academics/researchers, from a variety of specialties and career stages, seeking information and advice on developing a successful career in academic medicine. Feedback from the delegates was overwhelmingly positive with many saying they had received useful insights and tips for developing their academic careers.
Here are the presentation materials from the event (more to be added):-
CATO Masterclass: Developing research careers beyond PhD: 15 March 2017
We were joined by 45 delegates, the majority were clinical PhD students and clinical research fellows from across Imperial campuses. Delegates came from a mix of specialties, professions, and levels, and also included non-medical clinical academics.
Here are the presenation materials from the Masterclass: -
Wellcome Funding Opportunities - James Harden (ppt)
North West London Research Symposium for Health Professions: 21 September 2016
This annual event is aimed at nurses, allied health professions, midwives, pharmacists and healthcare scientists doing research of any sort – including those thinking of undertaking a research postgraduate course or wondering about pursuing a research career. Throughout the symposium participants showcase their work through oral presentations and posters to highlight research projects being undertaken across the AHSC, ICHT and associated partners, all exploring ways of improving patient experience and care.
We have included the presentation materials below from speakers/workshop facilitators who have given us permission to do so.
- Brief Overview of Clinical Academic Training Office, Dr Jeremy Levy, ICHT (ppt)
- Research experience and challenges - Seetal Jheeta (ppt)
- Research challenges and experiences: From the MRes to a PhD - Huw Woodbridge (ppt)
- Becoming a Clinical Academic Leader - Donna Kennedy (ppt)
- Investigation of the effect of laryngectomy on swallowing & QOL, Margaret Coffey (ppt)
- Oral Presentation - Jennifer Jones (Brunel University) (assessing the Efficacy of a Nurse-Led Multidisciplinary Approach to Guideline Implementation) (ppt)
- Oral Research Presenation - Dr. Isabel White (Assessment of Sexual Difficulties Associated with Multi-modal Treatment for Cervical or Endometrial Cancer: a systematic review of measurement instruments) (ppt)
- Closing Remarks - Professor Priscilla Harries (ppt)
- Getting Started on a Fellowship Application - Dr Gail Eva (Brunel University) (ppt)
- Developing a PPI Strategy - Dr Mazhindu & Dr Pattison (ppt)
- An Introduction to Qualitative Research - Dr Matthew Grundy-Bowers (ppt)
North West London Research Symposium for Health Professions
North West London Research Symposium for Health Professions: September 2016 (Imperial College London, South Kensington campus)
We were joined by over 100 healthcare professionals from the North West London area (and beyond), representing a wide range of professions and institutions; all interested in discussing and learning more about research. We do hope you were able to take away useful insights from all of the presentations, research posters, and workshops.
To read more about this event and to access the event materials then please read here.
Wellcome Trust Clinical PhD programme
Wellcome Trust Clinical PhD Programme
Imperial has been awarded a 5-year Wellcome Trust Clinical PhD programme, making it one of only seven schemes to have successfully obtained funding. The scheme will be supported by the Imperial Clinical Academic Training Office and the NIHR Imperial Biomedical Research Centre which will provide funding for additional fellowships. The first cohort will be recruited this winter, to start in autumn 2017.
For more information on this new programme please go to the Imperial College News article here.