Send large files using FileExchange
Keeping file sizes to a minimum
We encourage everyone to keep file sizes as small as possible. By reducing file sizes, it will:
- make it easier for the student to download the file when network coverage is limited
- be cheaper for students to download when using data tariffs
- reduce the impact on the system
Imperial College FileExchange instructions
Imperial College FileExchange is a service to make it easy for you to move files, including large files up to 2.0 GB, in and out of the University.
- If you are a member of the University, you can log in with your Imperial College Username and password and send files to anyone, in or out of the University. Start by logging in and then clicking the "Drop-off" button.
- If you are not a member of the University, you cannot log in but you can still send files to people in the University if you know their email address. Start by clicking the "Drop-off" button.
- Files are automatically deleted from Imperial College FileExchange 14 days after you upload them, so you don't need to manually clean up.
Step-by-step instructions for Imperial College staff
- Go to https://fileexchange.ic.ac.uk/
- Click 'Login' and enter your College login details
- Click 'Drop-off'
- Do not change anything on the page titled Information about the Sender and click 'Next'
- Ensure Send e-mail message to recipients is ticked
- Click the green plus icon under 'To'
- For 'Name', type in the name of the person you're sending the file to (see list of contacts)
- For 'Email', type in the person's email address (see list of contacts). You should copy and paste the email address where possible or the file(s) may not be received by your intended recipients.
- Click 'Add Recipient'
- Type in a Short note to the Recipients to describe what you are sending and any special instructions
- Beside File 1, click 'Choose File' to browse and select your file from your machine (max file size is 2 GB). If you need to send more files, repeat the process for File 2, 3, etc. (File 3, 4 and so on will appear automatically)
- Click 'Drop off Files' at the bottom of the page