The Faculty of Natural Sciences would like to encourage and support staff to work with industry, due to the range of benefits this can bring to our academic community including:
- Increased and diversified research income
- Increased opportunities to address real world challenges
- Access to resources, facilities, explicit and tacit knowledge from industry partners
- Enhanced translation of research for more significant impact, which continues to be a key metric for research performance
- Specific impact case studies for the forthcoming Research Excellence Framework evaluation
- Increased opportunities to benefit from government industrial strategy, see, e.g. Industrial Strategy Green Paper, and funding, see e.g. the Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund (ISCF).
The ISCF presents a unique opportunity for collaboration and is an exciting opportunity to bring together resource and expertise from across the supply chain. Imperial has involvement in a number of ISCF projects. We are a founding partner in the Faraday Institution which is facilitating the ISCF’s Faraday Battery Challenge. In addition to the Faraday Challenges, we have contributed expertise to solutions in materials, manufacturing and leading-edge healthcare. We are open to exploring new partnerships and finding ways our expertise can be included in the solutions presented to these challenges. As consortia look to build their expertise we could provide the technical knowhow needed to complete a challenge. If you are interested in seeing how Imperial could partner with you on ISCF calls contact Dr Fiona Jamieson.
Working collaboratively with business also has direct benefits for industry including:
- Exposure to world-leading research, with advanced facilities, multidisciplinary working
- Access to talented student pool, leading training centres and bespoke courses
- Supportive translation and knowledge transfer environment, technology transfer, consultancy, medical campuses
- Opportunity to influence on a global scale- through Imperials’ network of global partners and public funders, including influential alumni
The College has a range of ways to support staff working with industry including:
- Internal seed funds: co-ordinated centrally by the Research Office and in FoNS by the Vice Dean (Research) and Research Strategy Manager through the SME engagement scheme.
- Collaborative research (direct/leveraged) support and training from Industry Partnerships and Commercialization
- Technology commercialisation through Industry and Partnerships Commercialisation. The College directly deals with licensing and invention disclosures.
- Consultancy, with support from Imperial Consultants
- Corporate donations, through the Advancement team
For further information please read Working with Industry at Imperial: Faculty of Natural Sciences Guide