Job level reviews
Summer Review: TBC
When jobs are created they are matched to a level within a job family (e.g. Professional, Technical, Operational, Learning & Teaching, Academic & Research families). There are criteria for each level within each job family which set out the types of activities and responsibilities that an individual at that level is expected to undertake.
When individuals are appointed there is an expectation that they will grow and develop in the role as they acquire knowledge, skills and experience. This development is reflected in the annual salary increment that is awarded up to the top of the scale. There may also be modifications to the remit of the role in response to changes and demands which may mean that the job description needs to be reviewed and revised.
In a very small number of cases the remit of a role and the level of responsibility changes significantly over time and it is in these situations that the staff member or their line manager may want to request that the job level is reviewed. Applications go through a three-stage review: NHLI panel, Faculty of Medicine panel and College panel.
A request for a job level review should only be made when there has been a genuine increase in job role and responsibility over a significant period of time.
If you want to apply for a job level review please talk to your line manager or a member of the NHLI Job Level Review committee for advice:
- Jonathan Baker, Research Associate, email@example.com
- Alex Dawes, Career Development Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Charlotte Dean, Senior Lecturer, email@example.com
- Mike Emerson, Reader in Platelet Pharmacology, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Siobhain Griffin, HR Partner Faculty of Medicine, email@example.com
- Gareth Hyde, Safety and Technical Services Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cecilia Johansson, Senior Lecturer in Respiratory Infection, email@example.com
- Richard Mattin, Divisional Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Miriam Moffat, Professor of Respiratory Genetics and Lead for Postdoctural Staff, email@example.com
- Joanna O'Brien, Institute Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Matt Smith, Divisional Manager, email@example.com
- Jenny Welch, Research Technician, firstname.lastname@example.org
The job level review process takes place three times a year and covers staff in the Professional, Technical, Operational, and Learning and Teaching job families (up to and including Level 6) and applications to and including Spine Point 24 (Research Fellow Grade) in the Academic and Research Family.
Job roles that do not use the Job Level Review process
- Job Level review recomendations for nursing staff should be sent to the appropriate HR Strategic Partner at any time during the year
- Adacemic staff follow the Academic Promotions route
- Staff within the Learning and Tecaching family above Level 6 have a separate promotions procedure
For more information please see the College Job Level Review webpages.