Mattias Björnmalm BSc MSc PhD AMRSC is a Research Fellow in the Department of Materials and the Department of Bioengineering at Imperial College London. He leads the EU-funded project qBionano.org and can be found on Twitter @bearore.
He has over 40 publications in peer-reviewed journals and his research is focused on materials science, biomedical engineering, and bio–nano science.
In 2017, he was awarded a highly competitive Marie Skłodowska-Curie Individual Fellowship from the European Commission; during this process he was selected as 1 of 30 “highly promising researchers” out of the 8,916 funding proposals submitted.
Mattias is an Associate Editor for the science and policy journal Angle, an invited member of the World Economic Forum Expert Network, a Member of EuroScience, and Vice-Chair of the Policy Working Group of the Brussels-based Marie Curie Alumni Association.
Mattias is an Associate Member of the Royal Society of Chemistry (AMRSC), an Honorary Research Fellow of the Bionics Institute, an Honorary Fellow of the University of Melbourne, and a Member of the ARC Centre of Excellence in Convergent Bio-Nano Science and Technology.
selected Outreach and engagement
More information about outreach and engagement available via https://bjornmalm.wordpress.com/outreach-engagement/
- Co-founder Plaudit.
- Article in The Conversation.
- TV interview with ABC News.
- Newspaper interview with the Herald Sun.
- 'Meet a Scientist' with the Science Museum.
selected policy papers and engagement
More information about policy work available via https://bjornmalm.wordpress.com/policy/
- Vice-chair of Policy, Marie Curie Alumni Association, Brussels, Belgium.
- Commentary on mental health of researchers in Nature 557, 129-131 (2018).
- Voice of the Future meeting in UK Parliament.
- Authored policy papers available on Zenodo.
- Associate Editor of the science & policy journal Angle.
- Invited member, World Economic Forum Expert Network.
Full text of publications can be accessed via https://bjornmalm.wordpress.com/publications/
- Pan, S.; Guo, R.; Björnmalm, M.; Richardson, J. J.; Li, L.; Peng, C.; Bertleff-Zieschang, N.; Xu, W.; Jiang, J.; Caruso, F. Coatings super-repellent to ultralow surface tension liquids. Nat. Mater. 2018, 17, 1040–1047.
- Faria, M.; Björnmalm, M.; Thurecht, K. J.; Kent, S. J.; Parton, R. G.; Kavallaris, M.; Johnston, A. P. R.; Gooding, J. J.; Corrie, S. R.; Boyd, B. J.; Thordarson, P.; Whittaker, A. K.; Stevens, M. M.; Prestidge, C. A.; Porter, C. J. H.; Parak, W. J.; Davis, T. P.; Crampin, E. J.; Caruso, F. Minimum information reporting in bio–nano experimental literature. Nat. Nanotech. 2018, 13, 777–785.
- Richardson, J. J.; Björnmalm, M.; Caruso, F. Technology-Driven Layer-by-Layer Assembly of Nanofilms. Science 2015, 348, aaa2491
- Björnmalm, M.; Thurecht, K. J.; Michael, M.; Scott, A. M.; Caruso, F. Bridging Bio–Nano Science and Cancer Nanomedicine. ACS Nano 2017, 11, 9594–9613
- Björnmalm, M.; Faria, M.; Caruso, F. Increasing the Impact of Materials in and beyond Bio-Nano Science. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2016, 138, 13449–13456
- Björnmalm, M.; Cui, J.; Bertleff-Zieschang, N.; Song, D.; Faria, M.; Rahim, M. A.; Caruso, F. Nanoengineering Particles through Template Assembly. Chem. Mater. 2017, 29, 289–306
Extensive experience in materials science, biomedical engineering, and bio–nano science. Specific examples include:
- Particle engineering, microparticles, nanoparticles, capsules, supraparticles
- Bio–nano interactions, cell–particle interactions
- Protein engineering, affinity proteins, bacterial display
- Microfluidics, flow-based devices, device engineering
- Biomaterial engineering, nanomaterial engineering
- Drug delivery systems, cancer, immunomodulation, vaccination
- Cytosolic delivery, endosomal escape
- Nanocomposite thin films, layer-by-layer assembly
Attn: Mattias Bjornmalm
Department of Materials
Imperial College London
SW7 2BP, UK
et al., 2018, Overcoming the Blood-Brain Barrier: The Role of Nanomaterials in Treating Neurological Diseases, Advanced Materials, Vol:30, ISSN:0935-9648
et al., 2018, Coatings super-repellent to ultralow surface tension liquids, Nature Materials, Vol:17, ISSN:1476-1122, Pages:1040-+
et al., 2018, Gel-Mediated Electrospray Assembly of Silica Supraparticles for Sustained Drug Delivery, Acs Applied Materials & Interfaces, Vol:10, ISSN:1944-8244, Pages:31019-31031
et al., 2018, Nanoengineering of Poly(ethylene glycol) Particles for Stealth and Targeting, Langmuir, Vol:34, ISSN:0743-7463, Pages:10817-10827
et al., 2018, Minimum information reporting in bio-nano experimental literature, Nature Nanotechnology, Vol:13, ISSN:1748-3387, Pages:777-785