Mattias Björnmalm BSc MSc PhD AMRSC is a Research Fellow in the Department of Materials and the Department of Bioengineering at Imperial College London. He leads the EU-funded project qBionano.org and can be found on Twitter @bearore.
He has over 40 publications in peer-reviewed journals and his research is focused on materials science, biomedical engineering, and bio–nano science.
In 2017, he was awarded a highly competitive Marie Skłodowska-Curie Individual Fellowship from the European Commission; during this process he was selected as 1 of 30 “highly promising researchers” out of the 8,916 funding proposals submitted.
Mattias is an editor for the science & policy journal Angle, an invited member of the World Economic Forum Expert Network, a Member of EuroScience, and Vice-Chair of Policy for the Brussels-based Marie Curie Alumni Association.
Mattias is an Associate Member of the Royal Society of Chemistry (AMRSC), an Honorary Research Fellow of the Bionics Institute, an Honorary Fellow of the University of Melbourne, and a Member of the ARC Centre of Excellence in Convergent Bio-Nano Science and Technology.
selected policy papers and engagement
More information about policy work available via https://bjornmalm.wordpress.com/policy/
- Vice-chair of Policy, Marie Curie Alumni Association, Brussels, Belgium.
- Awarded a 2019 Imperial College President's Award, “recognized for outstanding achievements in policy engagement“.
- Invited speaker, Voice of the Future meeting in UK Parliament.
- Authored several policy papers, available on Zenodo.
- Editor of the science & policy journal Angle.
- Commentary on research culture and strategy in Nature 557, 129-131 (2018).
- Invited member, World Economic Forum Expert Network.
selected Outreach and engagement
More information about outreach and engagement available via https://bjornmalm.wordpress.com/outreach-engagement/
- Co-founder Plaudit.
- Article in The Conversation.
- TV interview with ABC News.
- Newspaper interview with the Herald Sun.
- 'Meet a Scientist' with the Science Museum.
Full text of publications can be accessed via https://bjornmalm.wordpress.com/publications/
- Pan, S.; Guo, R.; Björnmalm, M.; Richardson, J. J.; Li, L.; Peng, C.; Bertleff-Zieschang, N.; Xu, W.; Jiang, J.; Caruso, F. Coatings super-repellent to ultralow surface tension liquids. Nat. Mater. 2018, 17, 1040–1047.
- Faria, M.; Björnmalm, M.; Thurecht, K. J.; Kent, S. J.; Parton, R. G.; Kavallaris, M.; Johnston, A. P. R.; Gooding, J. J.; Corrie, S. R.; Boyd, B. J.; Thordarson, P.; Whittaker, A. K.; Stevens, M. M.; Prestidge, C. A.; Porter, C. J. H.; Parak, W. J.; Davis, T. P.; Crampin, E. J.; Caruso, F. Minimum information reporting in bio–nano experimental literature. Nat. Nanotech. 2018, 13, 777–785.
- Richardson, J. J.; Björnmalm, M.; Caruso, F. Technology-Driven Layer-by-Layer Assembly of Nanofilms. Science 2015, 348, aaa2491
- Björnmalm, M.; Thurecht, K. J.; Michael, M.; Scott, A. M.; Caruso, F. Bridging Bio–Nano Science and Cancer Nanomedicine. ACS Nano 2017, 11, 9594–9613
- Björnmalm, M.; Faria, M.; Caruso, F. Increasing the Impact of Materials in and beyond Bio-Nano Science. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2016, 138, 13449–13456
- Björnmalm, M.; Cui, J.; Bertleff-Zieschang, N.; Song, D.; Faria, M.; Rahim, M. A.; Caruso, F. Nanoengineering Particles through Template Assembly. Chem. Mater. 2017, 29, 289–306
Extensive experience in materials science, biomedical engineering, and bio–nano science. Specific examples include:
- Particle engineering, microparticles, nanoparticles, capsules, supraparticles
- Bio–nano interactions, cell–particle interactions
- Protein engineering, affinity proteins, bacterial display
- Microfluidics, flow-based devices, device engineering
- Biomaterial engineering, nanomaterial engineering
- Drug delivery systems, cancer, immunomodulation, vaccination
- Cytosolic delivery, endosomal escape
- Nanocomposite thin films, layer-by-layer assembly
Attn: Mattias Bjornmalm
Department of Materials
Imperial College London
SW7 2BP, UK
et al., Physical stimuli-responsive vesicles in drug delivery: Beyond liposomes and polymersomes, Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, ISSN:0169-409X
et al., 2018, Coatings superrepellent to ultralow surface tension liquids, Nature Materials, Vol:17, ISSN:1476-1122, Pages:1040-1047
et al., 2018, Gel-mediated electrospray assembly of silica supraparticles for sustained drug delivery, Acs Applied Materials and Interfaces, Vol:10, ISSN:1944-8244, Pages:31019-31031
et al., 2018, Nanoengineering of poly(ethylene glycol) particles for stealth and targeting, Langmuir, Vol:34, ISSN:0743-7463, Pages:10817-10827