Biodiversity Genomics - LIFE96008
Evolution and Diversity - LIFE40008
- To gain an overall understanding of the tree of life, especially in regards to animals, plants and fungi.
- To understand how the complexity of Eukaryote life has changed both in terms of timescales and evolutionary novelty.
- To gain a more detailed knowledge of the relationships and evolution of certain groups of organisms and how these groups have changed over time.
- To understand how the evolution of photosynthesis has profoundly shaped the diversity of life.
- To understand how phylogenetics is central to our analysis of the relationships between organisms.
Cell and Developmental Biology - LIFE95005
The course aims to provide an integrated understanding of the regulation of development in animals and plants. Studies will focus especially on the underlying cellular and molecular biology processes. Particular attention will be given to the initiation and regulation of recognisable developmental features of animal and plant body plans during embryogenesis and in later life. Selected case studies will consider recent research breakthroughs, the role of the environment in development and how organisms interact to modify each others’ development.